PDA

View Full Version : GFO Reactor Problem

ocean diver
09-10-2013, 02:22 AM
I am running a reactor with GFO and the other day it started to spit out the black particles into my display tank. The tank clouded up and got a fine layer of stuff over everything, killing some SPS and other corals. Why did this happen and how can I fix it from happening again? what do you guys do to prevent this from happening?

Proteus
09-10-2013, 02:48 AM
Do you have the foam inserts in reactor

Sounds like to much flow through reactor. It should only be a slight tumble. Preventing it from grinding to a powder

gregzz4
09-10-2013, 02:54 AM
I always rinse mine in a mesh bag (probably 8gals of RO) over a bucket, and I run my outlet into my sock chamber to catch anything that may get past the foam

Not sure what happened in your case but I know that if mine were not rinsed well it could have happened to me
I used to get GFO back-siphoning into my return chamber when the reactor pump was turned off

I now have the TLF NPX filters between the GFO and sponges and pellets no longer escape

Only other thing that comes to mind is too much flow through the reactor ?
This will grind up the GFO, even if you rinsed it

TimT
09-10-2013, 03:19 AM
I am running a reactor with GFO and the other day it started to spit out the black particles into my display tank.

That is one of the reasons I quit using GFO. It can back siphon, come out the outflow, clump together and all other kinds of mishaps. I have found Foz Down to be much easier to use and a lot cheaper. That is why I started to make it available for hobbyists.

Cheers,
Tim

ocean diver
09-11-2013, 01:37 AM
Thanks guy

It has been working ok the way it was set up, then one day just had the problem. I do have a foam in it and not too much flow but did increase the amount last time I changed it but not by much maybe and inch more material.

Gregzz if you post some pics of your setup, gfo reactor