PDA

View Full Version : My Magnificent Anenome has split - selling new addition

Robinbird77
09-09-2013, 10:46 PM
I have had a large magnificent anemone (heteractis magnifica) in my tank for 3+ years now. It has recently split and nicely located on an easy to move out rock. The size would be approx. the size of a mans hand extended out. (9 inches x 9 inches)
I know this anemone is rare because I have yet to see it at any of the local marine specialty fish stores. It is considered one of the most difficult to keep needing almost perfect conditions but it has definitely stays strong, beautiful and healthy in my tank I am sure anyone in the hobby with good lighting and fairly good water quality can keep this.

Mine was originally that size and has grown into a football or soccer ball sized and if you have the space and you will need it this will grow and thrive equally. I am open to reasonable offers so please email me privately. I will not accept less than $1000 as I know its value having been acclimatized to captivity and tank conditions. :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heteractis_magnifica

1986CJ7
09-09-2013, 11:29 PM
I have to say that 4th picture looks mesmerizing. All I can do is whistle at the price, had no idea they go for that much.

Well done on the split, good luck with the sale.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-10-2013, 12:06 AM
$1000 is a typo? Did you mean $100?

Robinbird77
09-10-2013, 12:15 AM

Thanks.. this is definitely the centerpiece of my tank and grows rapidly in good conditions. My tank conditions are not perfect either and this anemone thrives. This is the reason for the price and they are not at any local saltwater store that I have seen. Rare and beautiful.. reason for price.

reefwars
09-10-2013, 12:26 AM

Thanks.. this is definitely the centerpiece of my tank and grows rapidly in good conditions. My tank conditions are not perfect either and this anemone thrives. This is the reason for the price and they are not at any local saltwater store that I have seen. Rare and beautiful.. reason for price.

i bought mine at 24" in edmonton from big als display for $150 , good luck though nice nem for sure but price is way to steep for moi:)

hfp75
09-10-2013, 02:05 AM
Nice Nem.... to rich for my blood.....

Have you ever considered selling ice to Eskimos?

Bryan_k47
09-10-2013, 02:15 AM
I saw this anemone in person. It's is mind blowing. I've seen hundreds of anemones but nothing as spectacular as this.

TheDoctor
09-10-2013, 02:16 AM
Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JTang
09-10-2013, 03:09 AM
Wow! Really? A $1000 anemone!

Besides that it is rare, how do u compare this guy to some common $30-$50 RBTA's?

Llamarama
09-10-2013, 03:47 AM
I was SO excited till I saw the price, I've been looking for one of these ever since I sold my big beautiful purple one which was 18" for $100 2 years ago. 1k is too steep for me though :*(. Good luck selling this beauty mine was my favourite thing in my tank!

Jeff000
09-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Wow! Really? A $1000 anemone!

Besides that it is rare, how do u compare this guy to some common $30-$50 RBTA's?

One, it is not a BTA, so it's basically impossible to compare the price.... Can you compare the price of a Goldflake Angel to some common clownfish?

Two, mags are not really rare, they are fairly easy to get. They are just hard to get living in an aquarium. Although that's changing now.

Magnifica's have a dismal survival rate going from wild to captive. But there has been some progress now with cipro treatments giving them a 90% survival rate instead of like 5%.
So you can spend 30 bucks ordering Cipro off ebay, and then 150 bucks to get a LFS to bring you in a ~14" magnifica and take the 7 days to treat it.
Here is the thread on treating them.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2271385

Robinbird77
09-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Thanks for adding some further info on the survival rates ect. I don't think the price is steep.. just take the right buyer. I have it listed on another site and getting pretty close to my asking price. I do appreciate the comments.. even the kind of rude ones by people who haven't appreciated this beauty ;p in person comparing it to some **** you buy from big al's that's half dead when you bring it home for $150. lol

reefwars
09-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Thanks for adding some further info on the survival rates ect. I don't think the price is steep.. just take the right buyer. I have it listed on another site and getting pretty close to my asking price. I do appreciate the comments.. even the kind of rude ones by people who haven't appreciated this beauty ;p in person comparing it to some **** you buy from big al's that's half dead when you bring it home for $150. lol

well actually you can compare...

you see mine was 24" in size if not larger and was the showpiece for big als display before it caught fire and i had it for 2 yrs after purchase, i sold it to a lady in reddeer who had the anemone survive a total tank crash, the anemone is currently in a highschool tank as we speak...but i guess they arnt easy to keep right??

seems comparable to me no?

so $150 or $1000....ummm ok

so how does that not compare to your "rare" anemone??

rare means they can not be gotten easily and as someone who works at a lfs these can be gotten still and i see them all the time on order lists, prob is they are usually large and do not ship well so theres a good chance when ordering it about its survival and then the cost is higher to ship large animals(ie: box space)

theres a buyer for everything so you prob will sell it , if the person is happy to pay THAT MUCH for something then i guess its a good price right?

but dont mind me and jabber on!!