PDA

View Full Version : new lights morphing corals ?

darkreef
09-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Got a ai sol blue unit on a 33 gallon tall. Started it at 30/30/30 . Everything was doing good . After three weeks there at 50/50/50 . My zoas are starting to act weird , bulging , and closed or have there skirts pointing at the ground . Some even started to eat ! When they don't normally eat and rely on the light. I have not bleached anything . I have sps at the top that seem to be wanting more light . I unno I'm all confused lol . My water is perfect and I do 3, 5% water changes a week :p

davej
09-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Try dialing the lights back to 30 and see if they are happier.
Might be too much light.

tang daddy
09-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Zoas are known to morph, some can be senstitive to light and tempreature others flow.

Depending on where the zoa is collected, most can handle lots of light. But I have had Zoas melt from too much light. Usually if they don't have enough light they will stretch their body out.

I would say to probally slowly raise the light and possibly relocate the Zoas acting funny toward the bottom, sps could be at the top since they can handle more light. I would be raising intensity on your light no more than 5% weekly to be safe.

darkreef
09-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Yah its going to be a pain to unstick some of the zoa's . My sps's is finally just opening up , can see there little frills . ( I only have two in my tank kinda a expensive experiment to see if they can grow in my tank ) . Any tips on growing sps ? I bought farmed sps not wild caught and one frag .

kien
09-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Any tips on growing sps ? I bought farmed sps not wild caught and one frag .

Tips:
1. Keep your tank stable.
2. Refer to tip #1.