PDA

View Full Version : cheato??

AdrianC
09-08-2013, 11:59 PM
i live in airdrie, and i have a 6 month old tank and i am running into my first major algea issue. Was wondering if anyone has some cheato clippings that i could grow in my fuge?

I have a 46gal reef tank, 10gal sump (hopefully into a fuge). I did a water test this am and everything zeros out(nh3, no2, no3, po). Ph at 8.1 alk and ca unfortunately i dont yet have a test kit for yet. I have done a water change today as well as one a week ago.

Since i am a newbie to salt, i would like to thank you all in advance for any input and/or any cheato :-)

Alberta-newb
09-09-2013, 01:14 AM
Welcome to Canreef Adrian! :smile:

I'm in Carstairs (about 15-20 minutes North). I will be heading to Calgary Tuesday afternoon and would be happy to give you a bag full of cheato. I will pm you my cell number to work out an arrangement.

Francis

AdrianC
09-09-2013, 01:28 AM
Awesome ty!

darkreef
09-10-2013, 10:13 PM
I find cheato did nothing for my tank, but I have it in there for my pod population.
Get a few emerald crabs and do a 15% water change everyday for three days blowing off all the rocks with a turkey baster(make it snow! Corals love it) . This starve the algae and gives the crabs a head start. In my 33 gallon. I have three nice sized ones... And not an lick of algae anymore after a week but don't forget to vacume there poop or it will come back . And I had every rock covered and glass. But the glass your going to have to use a little bit of elbow grease . And any stubborn rocks a toothbrush . Cheato kinda prevents it . But algae can store detritus in its stocks so you have to get rid of it. Hope this helped it worked for me!

reefwars
09-10-2013, 10:20 PM
i can also give you a sack full pm me if you need it:)

AdrianC
09-11-2013, 11:08 PM
I'm all set but thank you :-)

AdrianC
09-11-2013, 11:56 PM
I find cheato did nothing for my tank, but I have it in there for my pod population.
Get a few emerald crabs and do a 15% water change everyday for three days blowing off all the rocks with a turkey baster(make it snow! Corals love it) . This starve the algae and gives the crabs a head start. In my 33 gallon. I have three nice sized ones... And not an lick of algae anymore after a week but don't forget to vacume there poop or it will come back . And I had every rock covered and glass. But the glass your going to have to use a little bit of elbow grease . And any stubborn rocks a toothbrush . Cheato kinda prevents it . But algae can store detritus in its stocks so you have to get rid of it. Hope this helped it worked for me!

Thanks i will look into that as well. I have mostly used my tooth brush for just major issues. (minus the areas with bubble algea) been using my gravel cleaner with all circ off to remove those.. I added the cheato yesterday water seems clearer, my torch has never been more open than it is today.. I being optimistic so far, and deligent on manual removal. Thanks again everyone for your input, it has given me a few new things to consider. :biggrin: