PDA

View Full Version : algae

steve.bridges
06-25-2004, 06:33 PM
hi folks,
i think the shrimps have stopped shrinking, i have a few questions for all you experts out there. i'm relatively new to marine tanks and am having a few problems.

The main problem is ALGAE.

i have 3-4 types in my 45 gallon tank. Green, Red (some hair) Green hair on the back wall, red brown hair on the sand bed. Green algae on some corals!!!

My System:-

45 G tank 5 Sided 24"tall
250W m/h pendant with ballast
Magnum 350 canister filter running carbon filter
power head 400 in tank
30lbs live rock
2" live sand bed

My Livestock

40 nasarius snails
6 turbo snails
20 hermit crabs (blue, scarlet, black & white)
1 emerald crab
1 brittle star
1 starfish
1 blood shrimp
1 peppermint

2 anenomies (1 pink tipped)
1 scallop

1 yellwo wrasse
1 fake nemo
1 blue/yellow damsel
1 coral beauty
1 firefish

Corals

3 xenias
1 candy cane
1 bubble coral
1 bisma cluster
1 finger leather
1 brain
1 leather
1 branch
few others.

Ok The tank has been running about 9 months, All tests are within required ranges except a very high ph. All fish and livestock are doing well
Most corals are doing well Except:-

Green star polyp -: has not shown itself for 2-3 weeks it seemed to be healthy before this, and now has a sort of brownish algae growing over the polyp homes i have tried removing this with a turkey baster but am fighting a losing battle.

Leather (pin cushion):- only purchased this 10 days ago when i first put this in my tank it swelled to double the size all the polyps were protruding, cool.
Now they have not shown thereselves for 4 days and it has green algae growing on it( not hair just a fine covering)

Finger leather:- once again 10 dys old first put in the tank it was loving it now it looks more like an old deflated glove.

I have been testing the water and everything is fine. i had to bring the salt level down but still within limits.

The algae is going mental, i have to clean the glass every day. Does any one have any ideas on the corals or algae.

thanx guys
later's

Aquattro
06-25-2004, 06:38 PM
Well, you do have a lot of stuff in there. One thing I notice is the cannister filter. Big nitrate factories they are!! What is your NO3 and PO4 levels? If you don't measure them, you should. Both of these feed algae. What is your water change schedule? What type of water do you use for water changes (RO, DI?, Tap)? Do you feed a lot? If so, cut it back a bit.

steve.bridges
06-25-2004, 06:59 PM
nitrate, phosphate and nitrite levels are perfect

steve.bridges
06-25-2004, 07:00 PM
i change 3 gallons/week with tap water left overnite

Chad
06-25-2004, 07:00 PM

Problem is, they might be perfect because your algae is using them up.

steve.bridges
06-25-2004, 07:01 PM
ok so any solutions. i have been testing my water every two days, all good

steve.bridges
06-25-2004, 07:03 PM
do you think i have too many fish?

bluetang
06-25-2004, 07:20 PM
Straight up tap water is usually a problem, due to the chemicals ect.. that is in it. I recommend paying the money and purchasing a tap water purifier. Great investment. I definatly noticed a change when i switched.

Aquattro
06-25-2004, 08:08 PM

what is perfect? 0ppm?

Aquattro
06-25-2004, 08:11 PM
do you think i have too many fish?

I think you have too much livestock, at least for the amount of water changes you're doing. I would do 8-10g week until the algae cleared up, and start using RO water, not tap water. You can buy it at the store for a couple of bucks for a 5g jug.

Jack
06-25-2004, 08:22 PM
I would put most of the blame on the use of tap water aswell as the high bio-load with small water changes. You're kinda stuck because you need to do larger water changes but you shoulnd't really use tap water.

Cheap RO/DI units can be found on E-bay from a guy in N. Vancouver under the name Aqua-Safe. I think there are quite a few members on this board that have one of these units and I'm sure they would reccomend them.

I would also add a bit more flow. A protien skimmer would help out too.