PDA

View Full Version : What fish would you get

Amadod2
09-07-2013, 07:27 PM
So if you guys had to start your tank all over again and could only choose three fish for a 75g what fish would you choose and why??

My list so far:

powder blue tang
leopard wrasse
masked rabbit fish

i love the colours and designs on these fish

thmh
09-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Radiant wrasse
Sail fin tang
Clown trigger

~Tony

Snufflupagus
09-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Purple tang
Any of the anthias
And a leopard wrasse

Myka
09-08-2013, 02:47 AM
So far you guys all have terrible suggestions for a 75 gallon tank!! A Powder Blue Tang, a Sailfin Tang, or a Purple Tang in a 75??? That's awful. :(

I would suggest a trio of Flame Wrasses or Hooded Wrasses. Why? They will never outgrow the tank. They are peaceful to other fish (besides possibly some other wrasses). They are easy to keep once acclimated and not prone to disease. They are beautiful. A trio will provide you with one super male, one sub-dominant male, and one female thus providing the best color display and likely spawning rituals as well.

Amadod2
09-08-2013, 04:22 AM
Well I see many 75 and 90 tanks with more them two tangs I don't see why having one tang in a 75 would be bad, yes I understand they get big and need swimming space

thmh
09-08-2013, 04:43 AM
So far you guys all have terrible suggestions for a 75 gallon tank!! A Powder Blue Tang, a Sailfin Tang, or a Purple Tang in a 75??? That's awful. :(

I would suggest a trio of Flame Wrasses or Hooded Wrasses. Why? They will never outgrow the tank. They are peaceful to other fish (besides possibly some other wrasses). They are easy to keep once acclimated and not prone to disease. They are beautiful. A trio will provide you with one super male, one sub-dominant male, and one female thus providing the best color display and likely spawning rituals as well.

i got to excited when i read choose 3 fish:D lol dont do clown trigger!!!xD

naesco
09-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Well I see many 75 and 90 tanks with more them two tangs I don't see why having one tang in a 75 would be bad, yes I understand they get big and need swimming space

If you understand tangs need swimming room than you have got to see that having only one tang would be bad. I mean, it is not half bad, it is bad.

naesco
09-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Radiant wrasse
Sail fin tang
Clown trigger

~Tony

A sailfin tang in a 75 gallon. You better stick to corals.

Edit come to think of it, if Mad Jolly Corals is giving such terrible advice about fish stocking you have to wonder about the quality of the advise they give about coral.

albert_dao
09-08-2013, 08:15 AM

Edit come to think of it, if Mad Jolly Corals is giving such terrible advice about fish stocking you have to wonder about the quality of the advise they give about coral.

Dude, what is your schtick? Are you this churlish in person? You know you have the option to not come off as an arrogant jackass every time you make a post right?

Here, watch:

@ Madjellycorals

I have to disagree with your choices of fish in this regard. Clown triggers and sailfin tangs will simply outgrow a 75 gallon tank.

There, easy and I don't implicate myself as a narcissistic turd scrape.

You're welcome.

Wheelman76
09-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Dude, what is your schtick? Are you this churlish in person? You know you have the option to not come off as an arrogant jackass every time you make a post right?

Here, watch:

@ Madjellycorals

I have to disagree with your choices of fish in this regard. Clown triggers and sailfin tangs will simply outgrow a 75 gallon tank.

You're welcome.

Well said!!!

cblair
09-08-2013, 08:33 AM

Wow!!! Little rude and uncalled for

Amadod2
09-08-2013, 09:14 AM
I have seen frags from mad jelly corals and I can say they are Amazing!!! Plus I have heard nothing but good from their service. There's no need to be rude, most people on here are friendly and by most I mean 99%.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-08-2013, 09:22 AM

Here, watch:

@ Madjellycorals

You're welcome.

Bravo!!!

Have heard and read nothing but rave reviews about Madjellycorals and this was definitely an uncalled for attack on their rep.

tang daddy
09-08-2013, 10:01 AM
:pop2:

Danny, your best bet for a 75g stock for fish would be wrasses, tangs need space. If you want more fish go for smaller ones, wrasses can get big aswell and will start to fight in a small tank.

Leopard wrasses are an awesome addition and one of my favourites, flame wrasse are cool too, flasher wrasse are pretty nice colour aswell. Skip the rabbit as he will outgrow your tank quickly.

lastlight
09-08-2013, 01:21 PM

Here, watch:

@ Madjellycorals

You're welcome.

He only approves of 4 - 5 large tangs in a 135 bullnose sorta almost 6 foot tank Albert. Anything less is inhumane you must have missed that memo :)

Aquattro
09-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Lots of good advice for everyone here :)

thmh
09-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Sorry I missed read the thread! And had no intention of giving bad advice to the thread starter. My apologies and ill be sure to reread thread/post in the future.

My new list
Radiant wrasse
Midas blenny
Clowns fish

~Tony

Myka
09-08-2013, 02:18 PM

Just because you see it often, doesn't mean it is a good choice. Most people on these forums try to educate people on the best practices for keeping our beloved pets happy and healthy. Tangs don't belong in 75-gallon tanks. There a few small ones (like Tomini, Kole, Convict) that may do well in 4' tanks, but they really fare better long-term in 90 or 120-gallon tanks.

Many people will buy small tangs with the plans to upgrade to a bigger tank when the fish grow larger. Too many times it happens that there is no follow through on that promise. No matter how good the hobbyists' intentions are, many upgrades never come to fruition and you see tangs cramped into tanks that are too small for them where eventually their health is challenged. Large fish in small tanks also presents the challenge of keeping good water quality. Big fish = big poop = lots of nutrients to export in one way or another.

Rabbitfish/Foxfaces are right up there with tangs too - with the exception maybe being the One Spot Rabbitfish/Foxface which, being smaller, tend to fare just fine in 90 or 120-gallon tanks.

Proteus
09-08-2013, 02:19 PM
I have a thing for assessors

Mcnealii
Yellow
Blackcap

They do like dimmer lighting though and may be semi cryptic if lights are to bright

Other than my personal choice

Dwarf angels
Hawk fish
Midas Blenny

cblair
09-08-2013, 04:37 PM
I have seen frags from mad jelly corals and I can say they are Amazing!!! Plus I have heard nothing but good from their service. There's no need to be rude, most people on here are friendly and by most I mean 99%.

I can definitely attest for that as all my sps frags are from MJC and nothing but good to say about there business and the way they deal with there customers.

As for the fish, I have a 75g to and have been going through the same dilemma. The tank is a little small for tangs but big enough you want a nice looking show fish. Wrasses seem he logical choice as they are colourful and very active and may serve a purpose with helping reduce pests in your tank. Maybe a small school of chromis or Banggai cardinals are another route I may go. Right now I have a sixline wrasse in my tank and he is awesome so I don't plan on adding a bigger wrasse. One more option I am considering is the flame hawkish which will add a nice splash of colour as it perches among the sps and rocks.

Amadod2
09-08-2013, 04:55 PM
the flame hawk fish is one that is on my list, im just finding that the fish i like with all the nice patterns tend to be the big guys. i was also thinking a potters angel

naesco
09-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Sorry I missed read the thread! And had no intention of giving bad advice to the thread starter. My apologies and ill be sure to reread thread/post in the future.

My new list
Radiant wrasse
Midas blenny
Clowns fish

~Tony

Thanks for your post. This advice is much better.

cblair
09-08-2013, 06:06 PM
the flame hawk fish is one that is on my list, im just finding that the fish i like with all the nice patterns tend to be the big guys. i was also thinking a potters angel

Yes I definitely hear you on that. A lot of the fish I like are the big boys as well but I will save them for when I upgrade to a larger tank in the future. I love the angels and I have always wanted a flame angel... But if you plan on keeping sps and to some extent lps I would probably steer away from them as some are know to pick at corals you may get lucky and get one that may not but with a few hundred dollars if not thousands the risk for me anyway is to great. It's a tough call with our small to mid sized tanks for sure.

tang daddy
09-08-2013, 06:27 PM
One more to add if you have Lps the angel have been known to nip, if you keep them well fed they are good, once they go hungry it's candy shop!

albert_dao
09-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Bravo!!!

Have heard and read nothing but rave reviews about Madjellycorals and this was definitely an uncalled for attack on their rep.

Well, this was less about MJC and more about dude being asinine with his commentary.