PDA

View Full Version : Need help stocking...

Round fish
09-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Ok so I added my first fish to my 29 gallon ( Sergeant major) and I need help figuring out what other fish I can put in.so far I've come up with 3 ideas

1 predator tank
1 seargent major
1 dwarf lionfish
1 snowflake eel ( juvenile)

2:mixed reef
1 seargent major
2 percula clown
1 watchmen goby
1 clown goby

3: carribean biotope
1 seargent major
1 neon goby
1 royal gamma
1 cherub angel
1 other carribean paleagic fish...

So which one should I go with?

mrhasan
09-07-2013, 07:09 PM
One thing is can say is since you have chosen your first fish to be a damsel in a 29 gallon tank, you will hardly find any fish among your list which the damsel won't attack when introduced to that tank.

Also my personal opinion would be a 29gallon would a very bad choice for predatory fish because of their heavy bioload unless you have heavy filtration system.

Round fish
09-07-2013, 07:19 PM
The damsel is actually pretty peacful and I had a fish with him at one point but it died due to a powerhead accident. And I realize the predator tank isn't a good choice.

Aysha
09-08-2013, 12:26 AM
If you go with a royal Gramma or similar dottyback type fish be aware that they are SUPER aggressive to other goby fish :( I had one kill my hector goby over a hole in a rock the gramma wanted to sleep in.

Myka
09-08-2013, 02:38 AM
More often than not, fish that have aggressive tendencies will be much more aggressive when housed in a small tank. Always add the most docile fish first and the most aggressive fish last. The Sergeant Major is not a good fish choice for a 29 gallon tank as they get much too large and much too aggressive when they do get bigger even if it is docile now. I would try to find another home for that fish and start from scratch. A Snowflake Eel would definitely be squishy in a 29 gallon tank and I would only recommend that if it was the only fish in the tank and you did big waterchanges to keep the water quality good since they do eat a lot (and then poop a lot).

Round fish
09-08-2013, 03:28 AM
I read on diffrent sites that seargent majors are ok for nanos:question: newbie mistake I guess. And I think I'm gonna go with the biotope...

Myka
09-08-2013, 03:50 AM
Hmmm, well there are many fish that go by the name "Sergeant Major", but the usual one referred to as a "Sergeant Major Damselfish" gets to be 6-8". Do you know which one yours is?

Round fish
09-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Im pretty sure its the damselfish.

Round fish
09-08-2013, 02:29 PM
I was also told by the sales clerk that there semi aggresive.( it was in a tank with some tomato clowns)

Myka
09-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Im pretty sure its the damselfish.

Probably. They make better tankmates in big tanks where their adult aggression can be spread upon a larger population.

Round fish
09-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Well I can't really afford to get a bigger tank ( only in high school) and I don't really have the space for anything bigger than 30 gallons:sad:

Myka
09-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Well I can't really afford to get a bigger tank ( only in high school) and I don't really have the space for anything bigger than 30 gallons:sad:

That's ok. You can find a new home for the Sergeant Major. Maybe the LFS will take it back. I've seen this fish dominant an entire 65-gallon tank killing anything that was added to the tank. It lived happily with several other fish until it got bigger and started killing off the other fish until it was the only fish left.

Round fish
09-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Well I he has a lot of personality and recognize me. It'll be hard:cry: