PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Advice/Assistance

input80
09-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Hey there, I recently bought a 120 gal tank, with a closed loop system. We are going to leave it as a "room divider", lengthwise from the wall. The rear with the plumbing will be exposed. I would like some advice or even assistance in re-plumbing so that the plumbing is less obtrusive. most of the plumbing is done with spaflex, which I don't mind replacing, if I can find more, easily. The bulkhead on the right (in the picture) I plan on cutting (and plugging) to use as an emergency drain, yes herbie with a ball valve. The closed loop system is run by a reeflo dart, should I just run 1 down & cut the 2 returns and use just one on one end ? I am also planning on using a WP40, on the opposite side ?

HaZRaTTy
09-07-2013, 04:27 AM
Honestly I would go out and buy a tank to better suit what you're trying to do. Not for the fact that it can't be done, but I don't think you'll be happy when its finished.

Being half OCD and half perfectionist I would be okay with it for a little and eventually hate myself for putting all the time and effort into something not 100% suited for what I wanted.

I know not something you wanted to hear. If you do decide on using it as a room divider I would if anything replace the entire back panel of glass.

input80
09-07-2013, 11:36 PM
TY HaZ, replacing the tank is definitely not something I wanted to hear, lol & not a financial option. Unfortunately, I already have too much invested here. I know the glass is a mess, I am currently in the process of scraping the paint anyway. I'm mainly looking for ideas to make the closed loop plumbing a bit less obtrusive, black paint comes to mind.

monocus
09-08-2013, 12:05 AM
ian,how about reducing the size of the pipe,like say to 1" on your closed loop system,and especially on your returns.you could also bring your return line up one side instead of in the middle.as for scraping the glass;you could borrow my glass scraper(window washing size).a small scraper will scratch the glass

input80
09-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Hey Bill, that sounds like a good start/idea, will reducing the line possibly affect the pump ?

Trevor W
09-08-2013, 12:32 AM
I'm slightly confused are you wanting use the (what I'm assume ing was the back pane) as a viewing pane? What i mean is, are you trying to use the pane with all the plumbing attached to it as a viewing pane? To me I wouldnt use this tank as a peninsula oriented tank but instead I would situate it with that pane against a wall. Unless I am totally misunderstanding your post.

input80
09-08-2013, 01:11 AM
Nope, you have it right, peninsula view, just trying to figure out the replumbing options, where its not as obtrusive looking,

HaZRaTTy
09-08-2013, 01:13 AM
That's my understanding on what he is trying to achieve, I mean its do-able in reducing pvc like stated and making it a way cleaner look. I just think you will be disappointed no matter how clean it is due to not having a full viewable side.

input80
09-08-2013, 01:16 AM
Well, the "piped" side, will be facing the rear of the room. Only if one needs the washroom they will see it, or ppl walk around. I am not too worried , just want it cleaner looking.

1eyedjyde
09-08-2013, 01:24 AM
you could box in the plumbing leaving the top half of the tank viewable and you would have a shelf for your beer when you are looking at the fish.

input80
09-08-2013, 01:51 AM
I like that idea for sure. Bill you coulda mentioned a 1/2 box instead, lolol

IanWR
09-08-2013, 01:53 AM
you could box in the plumbing leaving the top half of the tank viewable and you would have a shelf for your beer when you are looking at the fish.

+1! Double plus good!

input80
09-08-2013, 03:15 AM
And the wife gave me a great idea. We won't be using the canopy that came with the tank, so we'll use it sideways behind the tank which will cover back of the stand & be a mini counter, of sorts....... lol

monocus
09-08-2013, 09:19 AM
i did mention that last week

input80
09-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Yes Bill, but unfortunately, I only heard a full box up the whole tank, stupid head of mine lol. I might just trim the canopy shorter & keep the fans intact also.

1986CJ7
09-11-2013, 09:49 PM
That's my understanding on what he is trying to achieve, I mean its do-able in reducing pvc like stated and making it a way cleaner look. I just think you will be disappointed no matter how clean it is due to not having a full viewable side.

Use the 120 for a sump and get yourself a new 180 :) More flexible in space and cleaner look.

+1 to unfortunately ain't going to be the clean look you're looking for