PDA

View Full Version : Ozone

Toongraeme
09-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Ok, ozone.... Who is using it? How do you have it setup? (Pictures?) Are you finding it beneficial?

Proteus
09-06-2013, 10:52 AM
If you plan on ozone buy a adjustable unit. You also need a orp meter. This will show your oxidizing potential. Also not that a lot of plastics will breakdown with ozone. There are skimmers that are made for ozone and have injection points vertex omega is one of them.
You can achieve great results but please read about orp as it can and is a complicated value

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/

Toongraeme
09-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the reply. I've been reading up a bit already. It's something I'd like to add to my set up once it's up and running. I already have the omega 150 skimmer, it's just I'm wanting to see how people have them set up. I've read about laying carbon on top of the skimmer cup, and wether I need an air pump or if the skimmer will manage to draw enough air through the ozoneator

The Codfather
09-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Ive just stopped running ozone. Best thing you can do is run it through a ozone reactor, more efficient. Carbon will also be needed afterwards.
I previously just ran it through my skimmer, which worked out fine, I modded a cover to hold carbon as it was a little smelly.
As Nick mentioned the use of an orp control/monitor is also a good thing.

xenon
09-06-2013, 01:33 PM
If you plan on ozone buy a adjustable unit. You also need a orp meter. This will show your oxidizing potential. Also not that a lot of plastics will breakdown with ozone. There are skimmers that are made for ozone and have injection points vertex omega is one of them.
You can achieve great results but please read about orp as it can and is a complicated value

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/

Not sure what more I can add to this.

We use ozone and its highly effective at controlling organics. We connect it directly to our Vertex Alpha skimmer with an air dryer before the ozone.

We also use the Milwaukee ORP controller to maintain a value of 415-425.

Proteus
09-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Peroxide and pomagrante are the next best oxidizer a to use but still must be monitored.
The nice part about peroxide is once it oxidizes otganics it becomes water.
Uv is another way to control orp as o2 is transformed to o3 when in contact with uv

IMO there's more important things to monitor as even the reefs in open ocean Cary's so much based on things from lightning to thermal vents.
Even the scientist who study the reefs have stopped checking and monitiring orp because it has such a large swing number

michika
09-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Ozone is the bomb in my opinion. The benefits I've seen with it are; increased water clarity, better skimming, the tank smell isn't as obvious, and I do see a difference in the extension of my clam's mantles.

Also don't forget to note the impact that ozone CAN have on your pH.

The Codfather
09-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Also don't forget to note the impact that ozone CAN have on your pH.

True. As orp rises, pH will drop. Something to keep in mind if you monitor pH levels.

Toongraeme
09-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Ok, thanks. But does anyone have a pic of their actuall setup they'd be willing to share please?