PDA

View Full Version : dwarf zebra lionfish , refuses to eat !

darkreef
09-04-2013, 03:25 AM
Pretty sad iv trained my mandarin dragnet (male) to eat fiercely because of my poor attempts at feeding this fussy lionfish. And live food is out of the question! So any other advice would be great . Been four weeks since I got him and I can tell he's starting to get weak now. But he's still very active .

I swear he ate most of the brittle worms in my tank since I put him in there , I see a few when the tank was crawling . But they could of died off because I been hard on the water changes latley . And I don't have proof he did eat them just attacks the rocks for no reason sometimes .

monkE
09-04-2013, 03:40 AM
i had trouble with my volitan lionfish i recently got. he refused to go near any frozen food including the silversides that my LFS told me to feed him with. I bought a bunch of white cloud minnows (live) and he jumped all over them!

Why is live food out of the question? it may be your only choice at this point. I have yet to get mine to take anything other than live fish, i've actually been harvesting the young from my african cichlid tank to feed him :)

darkreef
09-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Fw fish gives lionfish kidney problems . The Lfs told me he was eating frozen witch really ****ed me off because he's not . And I figured a mandarins were harder to train then them. And do you think I can find a ghost shrimp anywheres ?! Nope :( or is breed them . So going to the Lfs today and flipping out . Atleast stock its food before you sell the fish ya know. Going to try silver sliders today . Hope it works

sphelps
09-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Live ghost shrimp is always worked well for me.

reefwars
09-04-2013, 07:10 PM
sw mollies work great as well:)

tang daddy
09-04-2013, 07:52 PM
If the store said he was eating frozen you should've asked them to show you so there was no confusion. Sometimes fish will take a few days to acclimate to the tank before eating. Luckily for me my dwarf high fin ate frozen in the store, mind you it was only mysis but that was good enough for me, I have since trained him to eat krill. Everytime he sees me by the tank he is jumping like a little puppy.

Such a cutie, I really wanted a fumanchu but will settle for a fish that eats frozen.

Good luck and hope yours will eat something.

neoh
09-04-2013, 08:14 PM
i had trouble with my volitan lionfish i recently got. he refused to go near any frozen food including the silversides that my LFS told me to feed him with. I bought a bunch of white cloud minnows (live) and he jumped all over them!

Why is live food out of the question? it may be your only choice at this point. I have yet to get mine to take anything other than live fish, i've actually been harvesting the young from my african cichlid tank to feed him :)

You better not be feeděn`em my Tanganyikans, Mike!

monkE
09-05-2013, 02:14 AM
Don't worry... my yellow labs just pump out the babies!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

darkreef
09-05-2013, 03:52 AM
Still nothing today , tried brine shrimp . He's not scared of the turkey baster no more . But once he's in a cloud he just turns around a wiggles away(witch is what my dragonet did for two months). My dragonet turned into a hungry beast! He eats it all once the lion goes to the other side of the tank . Sit there on the ground and wiggle his fins and make them swim then plucks them up. Hes my favorite . But this Lfs does not take care of anything just rescued a sun coral ( caved in no flesh between caves ) so I got a lot on my plate right now . Was thinking on going to them and asking if they have any baby fish . Or get a few big molly rabbits