PDA

View Full Version : GBTA population boom

IanWR
09-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could help me understand how I am finding GBTA in my sump? I mean i know they aren't getting there by magic, so they must be getting through the teeth of the overflow and down the standpipe into the sump. What i am curious about is do they reproduce by budding, so that it would be very very small anemone getting through and then growing? I thought that they required light, so I am finding this interesting. I just came back from 5 days away and i pulled 3 small ones out (like the size of a quarter maybe?) and there is a bigger one (golf ball size?) attached to a rock that is resisting my efforts to make him detach.

I had thought that perhaps i had inadvertently left an anemone on the rock when i put it in, but that was 2 months ago, plus one of that little ones i found was in the skimmer/return chamber so i doubt i would swim upstream through a set of baffles. Then again, maybe it did?

Anyways, thoughts are appreciated. On a related note, looks like I have a bunch of extra GBTA to re-home, I'll post a note in the buy/sell section.

- Ian

asylumdown
09-03-2013, 11:37 PM
they reproduce by division as far as I know, not budding. It's possible that one divided and then immediately divided again. It's also possible that this happened a while ago and you didn't notice, but yes, they do need light. If they're in your sump and they're still green chances are good they haven't been there very long