PDA

View Full Version : Sailfins/Powder Browns

JTrigger
06-25-2004, 03:45 AM
Just wondering if anyone could provide some pros/cons to keeping a sailfin tang vs. powder brown aside from the fact that powder browns are pretty fragile and that sailfins might help with hair algae :biggrin:

smokinreefer
06-25-2004, 06:57 AM
nothing except for the fact that i like red sea sailfins, and i dont like powder browns, but thats my personal preference only.

Delphinus
06-25-2004, 03:35 PM
I've never had a tang that helped out with hair algae. It figures that I would always get the fussy ones.

AJ_77
06-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Are you sure it's not fussy because it's gorging on "all-you-can-eat" Nori every day?

:biggrin:

Delphinus
06-25-2004, 04:02 PM
Oh, probably... :lol: And now that my seahare has "discovered" nori, now he doesn't seem to touch anything else either! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I don't know about the powder browns (or any Acanthurus sp. tang for that matter), but basically, I've never had a Zebrasoma sp. tang that was the "answer" to any hair algae or other nuisance algae (including caulerpa, which was never touched .. I had actually purchased the Red-Sea sailfin to help deal with unwanted caulerpa). If you have one that does graze the stuff down, treat it as a happy bonus; but probably best to not count on it.

JTrigger
06-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Thx for the replies... any big difference in activitiy or parasite resistance between Red Sea and Pacific Sailfins?

Would you guys say that A. japonicus is a bit more resistant to ich compared to a powder blue?

JT

smokinreefer
06-25-2004, 04:51 PM
i have had tangs that eat nuisance algae...
feathery type hair algae, grape caulerpra...

my experience is with yellow, red sea purple, red sea sailfin and the powder blue. all of which ate nuisance algae for me.

any big difference in activitiy or parasite resistance between Red Sea and Pacific Sailfins?

in short, no. the difference between the 2 are subtle body pattern and coloration differences, which IMO put the red sea on top. also, red sea fish are claimed to be some of the hardiest fish around.

Would you guys say that A. japonicus is a bit more resistant to ich compared to a powder blue?

no, but i havent had experience with japonicus (yet). but FWIW my powder blue never got ich.

my yellow tang had black ich develop after coming home from the LFS. all i did was drop in a pair of cleaner shrimps and it was eradicated in a couple of days.

my red sea sailfin and purple, were both introduced at the same time as small juveniles, they both developed ich due to the stress imposed by the resident (larger) yellow. once the yellow got used to the new tangs, the ich subsided, and that was probably within a week.

HTH

sea gnome
06-26-2004, 05:54 AM
I have a sailfin tang, doesn't seem to like the algae much, but everything he eats. a very nice quiet fish, I would definately get another one if mine dies. :cry: Rachel. [/i]

reefhawk
06-26-2004, 07:45 AM
don't know if this info is pertinant but when I got my foxface it started cleaning up the hair algae and my yellow tang learned or got greedy or something and started eating it too. So.. how do you teach a fish what to eat????

johnny rock
06-28-2004, 08:53 PM
my powder brown never ever got ich, model citizen and I think there fairly tough as he went thru lots of changes as I upgraded because of my 500g construction.

Skimmerking
06-28-2004, 09:23 PM
Well Doug on this board had a PB tang ,and when i was up there to visit one day, I was watching the tnak and whith in minutes maybe i spoked it and with in say 15 mins i came down with ick.

May be it ws a freak sign but DOug trated with garlic and it was gone with in hours after I lefted.

I have had the red sea and it use to love calurpa and ate all in the tnak in my 280. I could'nt get anyto grow from there due to him eating it all the time.

mike

Lofus
06-28-2004, 09:29 PM
My powder brown is pretty hardy and dosn't spook easily. But then he is a A Nigricans.