PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading lighting

Robw
06-24-2004, 06:01 PM
I am planning on upgrading my lighting from 4 36" vho bulbs to 2-250w MH bulbs. This is over a 50 gallon tank. I currently have mushrooms, a montipora digitata, toadstool, open brain and a LTA with 2 clown fish. I want to start keeping a T. Maxima clam and more sps corals. I also plan on getting a chiller so I won't have any heat issues. Is this too much light for a tank of this size? Any recommendations?

AJ_77
06-24-2004, 10:18 PM
The SPS keepers will probably tell you that will be just fine... acclimation will be the tricky part, but there's plenty of good advice for that here too.

Next to the heat, you'll be watching evaporation closely.

(ummm, I'm sure there were some fuzzy-stick lovers on this forum...)

ree-fready
06-25-2004, 12:32 AM
What are the tank dimensions? Could you go with 1 400? It will be cheaper when replacing the bulbs.

Robw
06-25-2004, 07:41 PM
The tank measures 36" x 20" H x 18" with a 4" sand bed. It has a center brace that is non transparent so I really don't want to go with a single 400 watt. As I mentioned I am adding a chiller so there will be no over heating issues. I will be building a new hood for this upgrade. Love that DIY stuff :biggrin: I am planning on 2 SA 10K 250 watt and two URI VHO actinics. Aclimatization could be a problem though. I have read about using window screen. How many layers would you start with?