PDA

View Full Version : Happy as a freshwater clam?

ken0042
06-24-2004, 04:51 PM
Hey there everybody! I picked up a few freshwater clams about a month ago. I had thought my water was clear before, but wow, what a difference adding the clams has made.

My question is this? Should I move them around the tank? They did dig themselves into the gravel, and have now come back out. I don't want to disturb them if they are happy, but maybe they are waiting for the current to drag them to a new feeding ground.

Quinn
06-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Saltwater clams can swim on their own, and I expect freshwater clams would be the same.

Welcome to the board as well. :smile:

ken0042
06-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks for your response, teevee. One more question for you then, how often do your salt water clams swim to a new location?

Xtasia
11-05-2004, 04:23 PM
could you explain how saltwater clams swim to their next location please. I haven't seen my clams swim before. Don't understand what you mean.

Thanks...

Cap'n
11-06-2004, 12:56 AM
Different kind of clam. The active ones aren't nearly as pretty as what you have in your tank. Think more along the lines of seafood and mussels.

Now I'm craving the Trap & Gill

Cheers,
Cpt Clam-bake

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-09-2004, 07:43 AM
I have a Derasa in my seahorse tank. However, I've acclimatized a bunch of Manila clams (SuperStore $3.89/lb) & use them as filter feeders & emergency live food supply in my 100g fish/soft corals tank. They do a good job, but you have to get these cold water animals used to tropical conditions.