PDA

View Full Version : Losing Patience with the Tank

paddyob
09-02-2013, 06:18 AM
SO after crash to extreme diatom disaster... I may toss in the towel. I have other priorities that this is beginning to take cash away from.

The diatoms... I will try the ph route before tossing the towel, but if it fails. Shut down.

Might just go freshwater with it. Try a planted tank. It will cost me a hell of a lot less and my little girl won't know the difference. :razz:

And I will keep my clown tank running. Might give me time to get these moving.

So, yup. I give my tank 30 days.

tang daddy
09-02-2013, 08:22 AM
You could do a soft restart, by that I mean getting all the rock and sand out of the tank and replacing your sand cooking your rock and things should turn around. I am really sorry about your diatoms. I've had it before and had to scrub all the rocks. It's abit if work but it may pay off in the end.

SanguinesDream
09-02-2013, 10:02 AM
That is exactly what I did, went to a bbt and scrubbed then cured all of my liverock in a hypersalinity tank. No more algae.

It is worth a try.

Scythanith
09-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Sounds like that is exactly what he's trying to avoid. That much work may convince him just to switch to freshwater. There are definitely highs and lows in this hobby. Hopefully you get it figured out paddyob.

paddyob
09-02-2013, 02:58 PM
You could do a soft restart, by that I mean getting all the rock and sand out of the tank and replacing your sand cooking your rock and things should turn around. I am really sorry about your diatoms. I've had it before and had to scrub all the rocks. It's abit if work but it may pay off in the end.

I just did a full reset of my system as it crashed months back.

Removing all the rick and sand is way too much work.

I'm going to to follow mykas suggestion to up the ph. Complete black out.