PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton Reefstar or Reef Optix III

Willito
06-24-2004, 03:52 PM
I am having a hard time deciding which of the two HQI pendants would do a better job of spreading light. I plan on putting 2 pendants over a 4' tank and I dont want the spotlight affect. The Reefstar is L16.5"xW10.25"xH3.5 w/hammer tone reflector and the Reef Optix is L11"xW 9"xH 4" w/polished aluminum reflector. With the differences in dimension and reflectors, will one spread the light better than the one (same ballasts/bulbs). Any inputs?

-Will

muck
06-24-2004, 04:33 PM
Tagging along...

Also interested. :biggrin:

smokinreefer
06-25-2004, 07:00 AM
i dont have experience with any of them really, but...
from what i have gathered, the Reefoptix is most likely the best reflector available for the HQI bulbs.

having said that, i have a Hamilton Reefstar pendant sitting on the floor next to me right now, i havent used it on a tank yet, but will be on my new tank after i move. i've fired it up once just to see, and it was pretty bright and i was quite pleased with the color.

p.s. i bought the hamilton because it is all packaged together as a single unit, plug and play.

kari
06-26-2004, 02:09 AM
Hey Will, I have a Reef Optics III running on my tank if you want to scope it out for comparison. All you have to do is find a local with a Reefstar to compare it too :confused:
Reef Optics are by Sunlight Supply right, I'm tired and can't think anymore.

mark
12-25-2005, 12:46 AM
Resurrecting this thread and would like to add the new PFO mini pendant into the mix.

Building a DIY hood and planning on having 2 x 250 DE MH.

mr_alberta
12-25-2005, 12:59 AM
The Reef Optix III+ and the new style PFO Mini Pendants are usually regarded as the best 2 reflectors available for DE bulbs. The PFO Mini Pendants have changed from the previous hammertone reflector to the polished reflectors like the Reef Optix III+.

Having owned both the PFO Mini Pendants and the Reef Optix, I opted for the Reef Optix simply because they are a fraction smaller and I find the exterior design of them looks better than the PFO Mini Pendants.

mark
12-25-2005, 01:14 AM
Harvey, figure the polished reflector is better than the Hammertone?

Also, not seeing the Optix other than through the States, are they avilable locally or through Cdn mail order?

mr_alberta
12-25-2005, 01:33 AM
Not too sure if it has to do with the hammertone vs polished or if one is just designed better than the other (optimized bends in the reflector to reflect light better into the tank). Its most likely a combination of both that do it.

As far as I know, there aren't any authorized retailers for Sunlight Supply gear in Canada, but I've seen them on the Aquarium Obsessed website before.

Veng68
12-25-2005, 08:14 AM
I was thinking about this unit (~$193 or $173 if 4+ units are bought and it costs ~$18 US to ship to a friend in the US). Pendent, ballast, & 10K bulb included.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/3777/cid/1120

I've talked to some people I know on a planted tank list and they say it's pretty good....... although they had to change the bulb to a lower K varient.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Delphinus
12-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Hey Will, I have a Reef Optics III running on my tank if you want to scope it out for comparison. All you have to do is find a local with a Reefstar to compare it too :confused:
Reef Optics are by Sunlight Supply right, I'm tired and can't think anymore.
I have the Reefstar pendent over my cube so if you would like to look at it after seeing Kari's Reef Optix, come on over.

I kind of agonized over the choice too when I was selecting a pendent but I kind of decided that the little bit of difference wasn't going to be significant for what I wanted it for, so I went with the one that OA sells since I was doing an drygoods order with them at the time anyhow.

smokinreefer
12-25-2005, 08:59 PM
i havent seen the reefoptix in action, but i do have the reefstar over my 2' x 2' footprint 'cube'.

i am pleased with its coverage and color.

reefoptix or reefstar, either way i cant imagine you could go wrong!

mark
12-27-2005, 01:27 AM
Does the Reef Optix3 or PFO mini pendant have the brackets for mounting in a hood similiar to the Reefstar ( bracket show in the picture in the link https://www.oceanaquatics.com/view_product.php?product=HL-250Reefstar14K&searchlink=yes&search=REEFSTAR&page=1) or can they be easily adapted?