PDA

View Full Version : tek light issues (ballast?)

Skimmer Juice
09-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Currently running a 36' 6 bulb tek light t5ho fixture , yesterday my my light just turned off. The switch still turns green when on just no bulb's turn on.
The swtch that control's the 4 middle bulb's is the one that does not work, the other swicth controling the 2 bulbs works fine.
Thinking its a ballast problem , does anyone have expierence with this problem?
What did you replace the parts with , anybody know if you can find a ballast locally (calgary) or will I need to order the parts? And what ballast should i go with ? Thanks for any help/info

Skimmer Juice
09-01-2013, 05:49 PM
just noticed I might have posted in the wrong catagory , if a mod could please move it for me

Reef Supplies
09-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Those have been discontinued therefore it will be very hard to locate a LFS with some leftover's. Your best bet is to remove the ballast and visit a local hardware or lighting store. They prob won't have the same brand but as long as you get something with the same wattage and wiring you'll be fine.

Good luck

Evilweevil
09-01-2013, 10:26 PM
I have had this problem come up before I can't tell you for sure if its the ballast ( it probably is) I ordered my ballast in thru j&l aquatics and installed it my self which wasn't to hard they hada wiring diagram on the ballast itself to follow ,maybe a little confusing at first but doable

Skimmer Juice
09-14-2013, 08:02 PM
ok I got a new light , now Im just gonna try and get this one fixed . I took the fixture apart how do I tell wich ballast controls what switch? The one that controls the 4 bub's is the dead one. The ballast closet to the switches is white and the one mounted on the front off the fixture is black , here are some pics with the numbers. Not sure if this helps. I just want to know what ballast to remove to find the right replacement. Thanks again for any help

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/commancel/ballasts002_zpsd388f4a0.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/commancel/media/ballasts002_zpsd388f4a0.jpg.html)

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/commancel/ballasts001_zps0fee09bb.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/commancel/media/ballasts001_zps0fee09bb.jpg.html)

kien
09-14-2013, 10:49 PM
I had this happen recently with my T5s. Thought it was ballast but I tried putting in fresh bulbs and that fixed it. Seems by bulbs were just blown even though they were only 8 months old. I'm not sure why but if one gues on a particular ballast they all seem to go. This would suggest to me that they are in series, which seems odd to me if that were the case. I honestly have no clue how they are wired as I've never openned mine up. At any rate, you could try fresh bulbs :-)

gregzz4
09-14-2013, 11:22 PM
This is only an assumption based on most fluorescent ballasts I've dealt with, and not just aquarium ones ...

Looking at the #'s I'd guess the one labelled 2S54 is your 2-bulb, and the 4S54 is the 4-bulb ballast

Best way is to trace the wires inside the fixture - backwards from the bulbs that are out - to the ballast
Another way is to disconnect the power to the fixture, unhook a ballast and plug it back in

Not sure you'll find a T5HO ballast at a hardware store
Last time I looked they were T5 only

Good luck !

gregzz4
09-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Just to rule things out

If you have a multimeter, test the switch
If you don't, swap the switches around and see what happens

And the odds of 4 bulbs burning out at once are probably huge, but ...
I'd be inclined to, one at a time, try the bulbs that are out on the ballast that still works

Just to be 100% sure you need a new ballast :wink:

Skimmer Juice
09-15-2013, 12:53 AM
swapping bulbs was the first thing I did. So its not the bulbs for sure. Like I said the switch power comes on , just no bulbs light up. Just haveing a hard time finding what ballast I shoud order . But now that you mention it the numbers you pointed out are probably correct so I will assume its the one with the #4 . So i will try that one first.

gregzz4
09-15-2013, 01:05 AM
Sounds like a plan, but I can't help ask
Have you tested the switch ?
Just cause it's lit doesn't mean it works :wink:

I've been tripped up by all kinds of the stupidest small things at work and have a new respect for Gremlins