PDA

View Full Version : Foam under 2x4 stand?

balistidae
08-30-2013, 07:49 PM
I am in the middle of a 60g rimless build. I have built a beefy 2x4 stand with 1/2" ply on the top and bottom. The tank has a piece of 1/2" styrofoam underneath it.

My question is if I can put a piece of 1/2" foam underneath the stand itself? I like the idea of a little extra cushion on our hardwood floors. Is there any downside to doing so?

Thanks!

tang daddy
08-30-2013, 08:00 PM
You can put foam under the stand forsure, ive also seen some Guys have used a heavy rubber mat to absorb the pressure while protecting the floor. I think it's definately a good idea to somewhat waterproof underneath the stand incase of a spill.

balistidae
08-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks, that is an excellent point about the water-proofing as well. I think I will just go with the foam to keep things consistent.

monocus
08-31-2013, 12:12 AM
i just use felt furniture glides on my stands.it still protects your floors,and you can slide your stands(without water).it also gives a small airspace for airflow(to prevent mold)rubber can break down over time leaving a residue.the felt can be bought in rolls or sheets,so you can customize under the stand