PDA

View Full Version : Boreal School Supplies (gotta check this out if teaching)

DOO-E
06-24-2004, 04:29 AM
Well I have been helping my teacher out with her saltwater tank and it has been successful only 1 death. Has been running since september 2003. Well apparently she can order fish from Boreal a science importer who supplies the pigs they disect and microscope stuff like that well they have a hole saltwater section. Blue Damsel, Yellowtail Damsel, Green Chromis, firefish, yellow tangs, They have this deal where you get a hole bunch of fish tangs wrasses and stuff, clowns, turbos, camelback shrimp, horseshoe crab, skimmer, calcium reactor, tests, tanks, a whole bunch of stuff. I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with these guys seeing i may buy off them. Only teachers can buy so i dont expect alot of feed back but whatever i can get is a big help. Great prices too and i dont have to pay shipping. Wow i am impressed.

Quinn
06-24-2004, 05:41 AM
I occasionally receive catalogs from Carolina Biological Supply who also has a variety of organism and equipment. Generally, any research or teaching institution can order from these companies. However, from what I've found, not only are the prices really not that good relatively, but the supply companies don't seem to have very good ethics.

For instance, Carolina sells an 8 gallon system for $816 USD plus shipping. Not sure what filtration system it uses, if any, and it seems to use PC lighting. They have a 25 gallon tank with a cover for $637 USD. The 55 gallon system is $815 USD and includes an NO tube and an undergravel filter. :rolleyes: They offer a very small HOB protein skimmer as well for $132.45, and Skilters for $96 USD. They also have the Eclipse systems, and they advertise the 12 gallon one with a yellow tang, pair of cinnamon clowns, pair of cardinals, and four damsels... excellent. They have a schwack of available livestock, mostly inverts, and hey, if you buy five mantis shrimps, you get a discount. I hope the sales staff at least provide some disclaimers. Lastly, they have a self-contained 50 gal coldwater system, with chiller, which is interesting, for $2,949 USD. Oh, I can't forget the MJ1200s for $50 USD. They do have Aiptasia anemones for those among us who are farming Berghia nudis. :smile:

Ok, now I'm having too much fun. Anyways I'm not familiar with Boreal beyond the name but I would be careful before jumping to any conclusions. There are always catches it seems.

Canadian Man
06-24-2004, 05:46 AM
I agree Quinn!
Always a HOLE lot of catches. :lol:

DOO-E
06-24-2004, 02:49 PM
It looked like soem pretty cool stuff i admit on some of the items they are way over prices but i have the anadian catolouge and prices are cheaper. I dont know we will see. maybe i will order a few chromis from them and se how they turn out.

Quinn
06-24-2004, 03:17 PM
We thought you were going to do more research before ordering any more fish...

AJ_77
06-24-2004, 04:32 PM
and take your time...

and...

and...

:confused:

DOO-E
06-24-2004, 06:11 PM
I am not ordering them now it probally wont be until october or november when i get back into school.

TANGOMAN
06-24-2004, 09:10 PM
ordreing a cuople of chromus mite be vewy ixpenseve ownce shiping in figered into tha equwasion. if their in the states it wuold be even more ixpenseve becuase a permitt wuold be reuqired and that more muney to but your farely far south in alberta so airplane flight mihgt be less... :confused:
i reccommendd bying as need from local store

Quinn
06-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Err... Doug? It's not that Saturday yet! :lol:

bluetang
06-24-2004, 09:49 PM
:drinking: :razz:

Snoop Dog
06-24-2004, 10:48 PM
:rolleyes: this guys crazy. Im with Brad, Doo-e seems like he is looking for afirmation on a decision that no one agrees with, after he has asked advice. Why would you mail order in a $3 chromis :question:

johnny rock
06-24-2004, 11:00 PM
CRAZY, BUT THATS HOW IT GOES, MILLIONS OF... oh sorry had OZZY on the brain. yeh, tangs and chromis, don't bother. you can get them here very easy and just as cheap and possible survive better do to no shipping.

AJ_77
06-24-2004, 11:02 PM
J&L triple-bagged 3 Chromis for me as part of a group order... yup, $3 each. Awesome... can't beat that!

:mrgreen:

mr_alberta
06-24-2004, 11:19 PM
You do have to realize that Doo-E is I'm guessing quite young, and in Taber which is inthemiddleofnowhere Alberta so getting fish for him may be difficult depending on whether he can drive or not, so mail order might be the only route he can go.

Now, I'm not taking sides or anything, just bringing the other side into perspective before anyone calls him crazy for doing this and that...

DOO-E
06-25-2004, 06:00 AM
Newguy is right i am in the middle of nowhere and cant drive yet. But i dont have to pay shipping b/c my teacher is buying stuff so the schools pays for it. so i only pay 3 dollars a fish plus they have clowns tangs LR inverts and cool packages.

Quinn
06-26-2004, 01:10 AM
I'll bet you a pound of live sand any orders for live fish from any of these suppliers have to be picked up in Calgary anyways...

DOO-E
06-26-2004, 04:37 AM
Whatever as long as i get helthy stock