PDA

View Full Version : Going to visit my mom in PR for 5 days

emeraldeyes_bc
08-28-2013, 09:51 PM
And I'm FREAKING out about leaving my tank in my Hubby's care :p
Any basics I should tell him to watch for?? I've only had it for about 6 months and I'm pretty obsessive about it lol ....is it weird I'm more nervous about leaving the tank for the first time than I am my 2.5year old daughter?? :p

Also, I recently got a pair of onyx clowns. Any suggestions of what they might like to host?? My tank is way too young for an anemone

MitchM
08-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Number one, don't add an anemone just before you go away.

Tell us some details about your tank.
Also, tell you hubby to log in here and ask any questions if there's a problem.
Tell him tank problems can be expensive.:smile:

Dearth
08-29-2013, 12:01 AM
Aye tell him to log on here if he isn't sure its better to ask a question with an easy answer than to ask no question at all.

And most SW hobbyists are OCD to some degree or another it is a lot of time and money and hand wringing involved

Be better if we knew your tank size and what you have for fish/coral as well

Dearth
08-29-2013, 12:36 AM
Clowns will host just about anything I have a lot of coral to choose from in the tank but my clowns are hosting my yellow tail damsel which is quite hilarious actually

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-29-2013, 06:08 AM
I just went to PR for 3 days and left my tanks in my parents' care.

I topped up the tank (do you have auto-topoff?)
I prepped the food ahead of time.
I explained thoroughly what needs to be done.

I would have a bucket of top-off water set aside to top off your tank.
Also prepackage the food into daily portions (no-brainer - each day feed this amount and nothing more) - overfeeding is usually a major problem with inexperienced.
Give them a contact number of a local reefer (if you know any) they can call in an emergency.

mike31154
08-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Maybe have some fresh salt water made up just in case.

daplatapus
08-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Give them a contact number of a local reefer (if you know any) they can call in an emergency.

+1
Where are you on the Island?

Coralgurl
08-29-2013, 03:25 PM
When I leave my tank in someone else's care, I do the following:

Full containers (jugs) of top up water beside the tank for ease.
Salt water mixed and ready in the event of an emergency.
All maintenance completed (skimmer emptied), double check all equipment is functioning correctly (heaters, ph) etc. Water change a day or two before leaving
Food prepared as noted earlier
Any special instructions are written and left within view of the tank. I actually leave full instructions regardless.
Label equipment and cords so if something does happen, they know what's what.
If going somewhere where I am not available, I've asked for another reefer here if they could be available to help if anything was to come up.

Not sure what your temps are like, but we are warm, so I'd make sure he keeps an eye on the tank temp depending on what you have for equipment to keep it cool.

Otherwise, go enjoy your visit with your mom!! :lol: Your tank should be fine for 5 days!!!

emeraldeyes_bc
08-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Thank you all for the tips! My tank is only a small 25g (keeping an eye out for a deal on a larger set up)
I have a pair of clowns and a pair of damsels (totally laughed at the thought of the clown hosting the damsel!)
I made sure everything was cleaned, running right. I did a water change and left several jugs of RODI water ready. I did explain to him how to top off (don't have auto top off), to check the skimmer, and how to feed. I didn't make up saltwater though :/ (the buckets, heater, power head are laid out if he needs it) I bought a new digital thermometer right before I left to make it easier for him to watch.
I don't know anyone with a reef tank :/ this was something I became obsessed with all on my own lol. Actually, it was a suggestion to help with calming my autistic son..... The tank is actually "his" :wink: