PDA

View Full Version : Reactor size capabilities?

Gools
06-24-2004, 01:22 AM
How can I tell what size reactor can handle my size tank? Is there any special things to look for that can tell you what it can handle?

kari
06-24-2004, 01:38 AM
The required output of the reactor is more related to the demand in the tank. For example, a heavily stocked tank needs a reactor that can supply more calcium and alk then an larger tank with less livestock.

Gools
06-24-2004, 01:44 AM
Sorry Kari! But can you explain that in more lazyman terms. Does that mean the amount of media it holds? I don't no much about reactors.

Canadian Man
06-24-2004, 01:50 AM
Sorry Kari! But can you explain that in more lazyman terms. Does that mean the amount of media it holds? I don't no much about reactors.

Basically what he is saying is it's near impossible to pair a tank and reactor perfectly. Usually you just go bigger and it works. Better than going smaller and not having it work. What actually matters in the livestock in your tank that use the "Stuff" that the reactor put's out.

kari
06-24-2004, 01:56 AM
I didn't read your post very carefully. Sorry about that.

Yup, I figure the amount of media it holds is partly proportional to the amount of calcium it can deliver. Other then that they are basically all the same with some designs maybe using up the co2 in the reactor better. I haven't tested or proved anything so my opinions are only my best guess.

Gools
06-24-2004, 01:59 AM
So if a chamber can hold 15lbs of media, and another reactor has 2 chambers that can each hold 6 lbs. Does that mean that, the 15lbs reactor can handle a bigger tank?

kari
06-24-2004, 02:03 AM
What Canadian Man said plus the fact that a larger reactor can always be dialed down.

kari
06-24-2004, 02:16 AM
When comparing volumes of media that close, I would be more concerned about the unit design actually working without other problems. Problems such as gas buildup, unsteady flow rates, frequent maintenance and tuning. I would get opinions from others that have already tried using particular units. Personally I haven't tried a store bought type yet.

Gools
06-24-2004, 02:42 AM
Ok I'm officially scared!!! Do these gas buildups and problem normally occur? Or is it something that if you do regular maintence you don't have to worry about? I want to do all my homework first before I get myself into a new piece of equipment. Thanks guy for all the help. Please keep them comming.

Skimmerking
06-25-2004, 03:18 AM
ok i will help ya out on this one you little boy LOL.

hows it going any way the reactor is usedto supplement CAL and ALK to the tank from the corals or what ever in the tank that can consume it.

now the chamber size will depend on what size your tank is lots of people will go with a 6" diameter for there reactor.

now for my 75 gal tank that i had i used a 4" diameter chamber the bigger the chamber the more media it will hold, usually a single chamber will last about a year depending on the amount of CAL/ALK you are using
the C0-2 will break down the medai faster if you need it and that will depend on how fast you have the bubles in the counter going. that is going to break down the media and supply the tank with the CAL demands and the alk it needs

call me man and and i might take a trip to come see ya and expalin it to you. I have areactor you can borrow if ya want too ok so you can see it all you need is a C0-2 tank i have the rest ok.

let me know i will take thetrip into the peg you supply the beer ok

later mike

Gools
06-25-2004, 11:26 AM
Hey bud! Your back from edmt? That month flew by. Don't worry you haven't missed summer yet. It hasn't started in manitoba yet. :mad: Anyways, I'll defenetly take you up on that offer. I should be getting a reactor in the next couple of weeks, so I'll let you know when I'm ready. What kind of beer you drink, but you know the rule no beer till the jobs done. I don't want my tank exploding or anything LOL :biggrin: Talk to you later. Gools