PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse hiding?

kenman999
08-27-2013, 08:31 AM
I have had a sea grass wrasse for 3 months. However for the past week, without any addition of new fish. He decided to hide during night time and come out early morning for a few hours then as soon as my lights go on, he will go back to his hiding spot under the sand again.

Is this normal?

Before the lights turn on, he eats quite a lot. But it's quite annoying not being to see him while the lights are on.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

reefwars
08-27-2013, 12:57 PM
Tank mates? Usually a sign of being picked on or dying

kenman999
08-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Dying?

I have a yellow tang, Blenny, flame hawk and a porcupine puffer in my 120g.

He seems to swim and eat very happily and heis actually the bully in the tank......

kien
08-28-2013, 03:46 PM
I have had a sea grass wrasse for 3 months. However for the past week, without any addition of new fish. He decided to hide during night time and come out early morning for a few hours then as soon as my lights go on, he will go back to his hiding spot under the sand again.

Is this normal?

Before the lights turn on, he eats quite a lot. But it's quite annoying not being to see him while the lights are on.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

While not a sea grass wrasse, I have a leopard wrasse that does this sometimes. He occasionally decides that he wants to sleep during most of the day. Once I thought he was dead because I didn't see him for almost 3 weeks. Turns out he only came out for a few hours in the middle of the day when I was at work. I'm not sure why they do this. It could be because they are sick and tired and feel safer in their protective cocoon under the sand bed while they get better. Kinda like when we get the flu and all we want to do is laze in bed all day long.