PDA

View Full Version : Mylar Camping blanket ... good for a reflective surface in H

reefphish
06-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Do you think that a mylar camping blanket (emergency blanket) would work well for the inside of a lighting hood?

cheers!

John

BMW Rider
06-23-2004, 04:59 PM
I don't think mylar would stand up very well to heat. It is basically plastic with an aluminum film on it. It would deffinitly not be good for metal halides, with flourescents you would have to have lots of clearance and air movement for it to remain cool.

Quinn
06-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Not much better than tinfoil anyways, I don't think.

UnderWorldAquatics
06-23-2004, 06:10 PM
If you get some high quality mylar, it is made with silver oxide and very reflective also it comes in thicker mills, I forget what mill I use but I have used it to line lighting hoods and it works great even with 400watt MH only an inch away it stands up great, of course it is more expensive than standard mylar is...

reefphish
06-24-2004, 02:20 AM
Good point about the heat, will check out the hydroponic shops for some options.

Otherwise aluminum foil would seem to be a great alternative!

Thanks for the input

TANGOMAN
07-05-2004, 04:46 AM
I, er', I mean, I have a friend who tried that. It's held up well on my, er' his, 60g for over two years now...I,'er, he, is only running flourescents on that tank though. Big spender... :redface:

AJ_77
07-05-2004, 05:26 AM
John, Kim had the inside of his hood lined with what he called Mylar Tape (I think). Seemed to work pretty well, and adhered very well. He was running some of those over-driven FL tubes over his 80.

Haven't heard from him in a while, tho... can't remember where he said he bought it.
:biggrin: