PDA

View Full Version : Magnet Algae Cleaners

Madreefer
08-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Well after 6 years or so my AlgaeFree Hammerhead cleaner is no longer any use to me. The magnets are now bulging out and only contact on the glass now is the size of the magnets. I'm thinking on switching to the Magnavore Cleaning Magnet http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Magnavore-4-ER-Cleaning-Magnet-glass-and-acrylic.html
Has anyone tried it? IMO the Magfloats are complete junk so no need to recommend those and I was very happy with the Algaefree brand.

Madreefer
08-25-2013, 04:56 AM
So there isn't anybody that's tried the Magnavore?

Magickiwi
08-25-2013, 05:39 AM
Hammerhead here. I like the overlapping magnet idea. Didn't occur to me until I saw it.

spit.fire
08-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Should check out the vertex cleaner mag

The design doesn't allow the magnets to ever bulge out

Madreefer
08-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Cool. Thanks. I'll check the Vertex out. I loved my hammerhead but it's run it's course and I hope my next purchase is just as good. Just thought I'd try something new.

Jordon
08-25-2013, 10:03 PM
I love my Vertex Duplex. They are coming out with a large format one (Vertex Hexaplex) with the next little while supposedly.

Madreefer
08-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Hmm those Vertex are pretty cheap. I wonder how they match up to the Algaefree brand? Maybe i'll buy both haha. Oh it sucks living in a town where the nearest store is 500 miles away.:lol:

spit.fire
08-25-2013, 11:43 PM
I love my Vertex Duplex. They are coming out with a large format one (Vertex Hexaplex) with the next little while supposedly.

It's already out

Trevor W
08-25-2013, 11:58 PM
I personally have the Triplex magnet by vertex and its amazing, very pleased with it. I was originally going to buy the Hexaplex but decided to just go with the Triplex. The Hexaplex is a beast you literally have to slide them apart because the pull strength is so strong.

viperfish
08-26-2013, 02:07 AM
How thick is your tank Trevor?

Trevor W
08-26-2013, 02:19 AM
How thick is your tank Trevor?

3/8" and its got lots of strength still.
I tried the Triplex on a tank with 1/2" thick glass at the LFS and it worked great.

byee
11-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Try contacting AlgaeFree about your problem.

I have the Hammerhead and TigerShark. My Hammerhead is 10+ years old and the other is about 3 years old. I had a problem with the cleaning side do the TigerShark taking on water. Contacted Algae Free and the sent me a replacement.

Great customer service!

IMO, they make the best cleaners out there!

Madreefer
11-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Hey thanks I will do that. And I did get the hexplex Vertex and it doesn't even come close to the Hammerhead and I don't like it.

LoJack
11-23-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm using the Flipper cleaner … and I'll never buy anything else ever again. Hands down the best one I've ever used.

I have a hammerhead Float sitting here too, but it hasn't been used since the flipper showed up. I haven't had to stick my hand in the tank to scrap coralline since the day it showed up.

They have stainless steel blades for glass … and plastic blades for acrylic tanks

intarsiabox
11-23-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm using the Flipper cleaner … and I'll never buy anything else ever again. Hands down the best one I've ever used.

I have a hammerhead Float sitting here too, but it hasn't been used since the flipper showed up. I haven't had to stick my hand in the tank to scrap coralline since the day it showed up.

They have stainless steel blades for glass … and plastic blades for acrylic tanks

How does the cleaning without the blade compare to the Hammerhead? I am in need of a new scraper and was looking at the Algae Free Piranha model as it will only be for a 29g.

LoJack
11-23-2013, 04:41 PM
The cleaning is still good. They have a few different sizes depending on glass thickness.

I have the flipper for 1/2" glass … and its good. The magnet isn't nearly as strong as the magnet on my hammerhead … but it's still good enough for cleaning.

I find I use the blade side more often than not anyway. It scrapes your film algae, and your hard algaes so much better than any pad will.

IanWR
11-23-2013, 05:13 PM
+1 on the flipper. I also just use the blade side now. Very easy, and i love the slim profile.

Madreefer
11-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Try contacting AlgaeFree about your problem.

I have the Hammerhead and TigerShark. My Hammerhead is 10+ years old and the other is about 3 years old. I had a problem with the cleaning side do the TigerShark taking on water. Contacted Algae Free and the sent me a replacement.

Great customer service!

IMO, they make the best cleaners out there!

Hey thanks again. I contacted them and a replacement is being sent to me.

byee
11-23-2013, 06:43 PM
That's GREAT!

Great customer service!

seasalt_newbies
11-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Where is the best place to get a hammerhead Cleaner in the Edmonton area and how much are they?

Thanks

Mike

Razor
12-10-2013, 06:34 PM
I picked up the Hexaplex and it seems to work really well, looks good too.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/media//Hexaplex-Magnet-blog.jpg