PDA

View Full Version : QT Tank

Azilla
06-23-2004, 08:07 AM
Hey all i wanna setup a 20GAL QT Tank. I have my old 20gal tank just curious on what i need to run it like filter wise and sand stuff like that.
prob be easy to keep it running 24/7 i dunno :redface:

DOO-E
06-23-2004, 01:32 PM
I would use a submersible powerfilter or a power filter something that once used in the QT can be easily cleaned and put into the sump or main aquarium to build up bacteria populations. Maybe a HOT powerfilter might be the the best. Adds alot of flow. A bare tank with PVC pipes and minimal lighting should do it. Dont forget the heat. What you are really looking for are stuff the the fish can hide it (PVS) and easily disinfected.

Azilla
06-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Is it best to keep the tank up and running or take it down all the time

BMW Rider
06-23-2004, 08:33 PM
I empty mine and clean it out when not in use. The filter goes in my sump (as well as a spare one). When I need the tank again, I fill it with water from the main tank, set up the filter and all's well. I find this is a good way to prevent those impulse purchases too. If I have to spend time setting up the QT tank, mixing replacement water for the main tank etc, I'm less likely to come home with something unplanned.

trilinearmipmap
06-24-2004, 12:46 AM
There is a good article on setting up a quarantine tank on Reef Central under the clownfish/anemones section.