PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Marine Aquarium Statistics??

Myka
08-22-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm working on a project. Does anyone know if there are any published statistics (or educated guesstimates) for the marine aquarium hobby for Canada? I'm looking for dollar value of the hobby, number of marine aquariums, and number of hobbyists.

I've been searching all over the internet and can't find anything.

Thanks for any help!

AquaticFinatic
08-22-2013, 12:58 PM
I was looking for similar but only came across old states for the US :0(

IanWR
08-22-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm not sure how one would get those stats. I think one could (if businesses cooperated, and gave accurate data) compile sales figures from wholesale and retail (if they keep separate sales for marine and freshwater), and that would give you a dollar amount for direct sales. You would then have to factor in sales from canreef, kijiji, etc, plus peer to peer transactions. But then you would also have to add money spent at home improvement stores, or contractors. Then add the extra money spent on gas and electric. Complicated stuff, but it would be interesting to know the answer: what is the effect of the marine hobby on our GDP?
As to being able to figure out how many people/households are hobbyists I doubt you could ever get closer than a guess. But I'm curious what the guess would be? Mindy, how many people locally (Saskatoon, or provincial) would you guess are in the hobby?

- Ian

AquaticFinatic
08-22-2013, 02:11 PM
The stats for the states said 10.8% of American homes had aquatic life. Closely followed by Europe. This worked out to 8.8 fish per home. There was a log more info than that but I would put Canada way under that.

Dearth
08-22-2013, 03:42 PM
I've looked for stats in the past myself I've ever only found localized stats for major centres but no provincial or national stats however I have found stats for everything in the states.

mseepman
08-22-2013, 04:13 PM
There was once someone on here doing a similar project...maybe search it and see what that person found. They were running some polls on various forums across the country as I recall.

saltcreep
08-22-2013, 04:24 PM
One place that you may want to start is looking at the Industry Canada (I think) website. They have the import stats for aquarium fish by export country in dollar volumes. It's a start. The one potential issue that you may run into with retail sales is that some retail stores are full line pet stores and do not break down the sales by pet type.

Good luck with your search.

Myka
08-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all the input, I am researching each avenue. :D

Reef Supplies
08-23-2013, 08:52 PM
The stats for the states said 10.8% of American homes had aquatic life.

Dang! Gimme some of that!

I know of a US marine retailer / wholesaler that has 5 UPS tractor trailers back up to their docs DAILY!