PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Whats the MAX you can travel with fish?

bulletsworld
06-23-2004, 05:54 AM
Bought in Vancouver, drive to Edmonton. So a 12hours drive back. Which I know is no problem. Since fish can ship in bags up to 24hrs I hear . Fish also packed in large bag with lots of O2 at storeBut has anybody gone over that period of time & set up a temporary tank setup? Perhaps a cooler with a heater & some sort of a filter or aerate?

Is there a way I could keep longer then 24hours (big delay)? :eek: :eek:

Hmm.....Any fish hostels out there? :eek: Camrose or Calgary? :eek:

EmilyB
06-23-2004, 05:59 AM
Yah, Christy and I have done that....if they are packed in 02 your only problem might be temp, or bringing them back up to that. In this weather, or in BC it might be the heat tho. :eek:

And of course you can hostel your fish here if necessary... :biggrin:

bulletsworld
06-23-2004, 06:05 AM
Also I got the shipping foam box to keep the fish in. And keep air condition on low but place a blanket over the box to keep what evers in. I also having a floating therm to keep check on the temp.

LostMind
06-23-2004, 06:39 AM
How about a battery operated air pump?

Bob I
06-23-2004, 02:36 PM
If you bring me back a couple of fish, I will let you hostel the stuff in my currently empty quarantine tank. :eek: :biggrin:

bulletsworld
06-23-2004, 03:10 PM

Never seen one of those before? Where you buy one of thoses?

Bob I
06-23-2004, 03:33 PM

Never seen one of those before? Where you buy one of thoses?

I have recently seen it advertised on MOPS.ca

purple_llama
06-23-2004, 03:42 PM
if you're in the vancouver area j&l has them too... you can order online if not

bulletsworld
06-23-2004, 03:55 PM
would an air pump really help the water though if after 24hrs?

rodsboys
06-23-2004, 05:58 PM
You should be able to buy an air pump at any bait and tackle shop.May be even in Walmart in the fishing area.

robbyville
06-24-2004, 04:37 PM
If it helps at all, we travelled 4 days with our fish when we moved from California back to Whistler.

We used a combination of all of the above, using a styro container, heat packs, air, etc. We also had 20 gallons of water with us so we did water changes each night in the hotel room. What can I say, we like to bring our pets with us while on vacation :lol:

Seriously though, while we had pretty hardy fish we only lost one, both our clowns, green chromis, and flame hawk survived the trip.

HTH,

Rob

Scavenger
06-24-2004, 04:42 PM
I was in Costco and saw some power converters 12volt (cigarette lighter) to 110 volt. It can handle around 1600 watts at once so I'm thinking you could run pretty much any aquarium hardware to keep your livestock healthy for the road trip. I think they were around $70 or so.

Doug
06-24-2004, 10:37 PM
When I took livestock from Thompson to Winnipeg, a full days drive, I always used a tub with some liverock, a Canadian Tire power inverter, and a powerhead & small heater. Never any problems.