PDA

View Full Version : Help with salifert alk test plz!!

wreck
08-22-2013, 03:00 AM
Ok so I finally bought an alk test kit. But I'm a little confused on how to run the test, I got my 5 ml of sw put it in the test vial, added 4 drops of the solution, filled the 1 ml syringe with regent with the tip on .
I started adding drops and swirling after each drop. Where I'm having the trouble understanding is after so many drops and swirling u could see a pink hue as u swirled the tube but then it went back to blue/green , so I kept adding drops and when the solution turned completely pink it red 9.9 dkh. Am I doin the test right? Do u add regent until the solution completely changes color or only a hint of pink?

Is 9.9 to high?

mrhasan
08-22-2013, 03:20 AM
1st of all, you have to add 4ml sw (not 5ml) for alk test using salifert. And since you are doing titration, you will see temporary color changes before swirling and you only take the reading after you see a permanent color change. And if you run a ULNS system, then 9.9dkh is high otherwise not.

Starry
08-22-2013, 03:21 AM
9.9 is rather high. do test again, when fist turns pink, swirl, if goes back to blue add one more drop slowly. should stabalize as pink.

wreck
08-22-2013, 03:24 AM
Shoot lol ur right I should have added 4ml not 5 ml doh!!!

Thanks I will try this test again!!

daplatapus
08-22-2013, 03:26 AM
1st of all, you have to add 4ml sw (not 5ml) for alk test using salifert. And since you are doing titration, you will see temporary color changes before swirling and you only take the reading after you see a permanent color change. And if you run a ULNS system, then 9.9dkh is high otherwise not.

Yup, only 4 ml SW and 4 drops of the reagent (if you want the high resolution). And when you get close it will change to pink then go back to blue, keep adding drops 1 at a time and swirl.

wreck
08-22-2013, 04:03 AM
Retested properly and it came out at 7 dkh

Thanks for the help!