PDA

View Full Version : What do you want from your local store??

AquaticFinatic
08-22-2013, 02:21 AM
I've done this before but want to see if thoughts have changed with new stores opening. What would you like to see from your local stores? Better service? More choice? Cleaner stores? Let the requests start. Thanks in advance.

Proteus
08-22-2013, 02:38 AM
The two stores I deal with ate great.

Although I would like to see some more exotic coral. But all in all marine aquaria and red coral have been great

AdamsB
08-22-2013, 03:10 AM
I'd like to see J&L expand and open a branch in the okanagan :D but realistically the local stores here are ok. I've seen better (some fantastic stores in Ireland) and I've seen worse (some terrible stores also in Ireland). Prices here on equipment compared to Vancouver are huge. One store in particular sells Korella evolution 1150s for ~90 dollars. Certain fish can be half price or even less at the cost, percula clowns (i dont believe to be true percs) are ~50 bucks in kelowna. So with all that in mind even if LFS did up their game with better selection, healthier livestock, actually having sps, I probably would still keep buying from my current sources. But that's just me.

The Grizz
08-22-2013, 03:42 AM
I would just like to have a LOCAL store to go to :biggrin:

spit.fire
08-22-2013, 04:06 AM
A couch

brotherd
08-22-2013, 04:15 AM
More elbow room to browse the merchandise. Most stores are very cramped. And please be diligent on removing dead or terminally diseased livestock from displays.

monocus
08-22-2013, 05:31 AM
i'm surprised no one said lower prices.definatly more colourful corals rather just browns and greens

Dearth
08-22-2013, 05:31 AM
A reliable local store or as another poster said would like to see J&L open a sister store further north. As it is a good reliable LFS with lots of livestock and product is 9 hrs drive away south to Vancouver or east to Edmonton from PG.

Evilweevil
08-22-2013, 05:53 AM
Naked women and beer , free stuff , jeep only parking out front and really hot naked women for staff , yup that's about it for me

Proteus
08-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Naked women and beer , free stuff , jeep only parking out front and really hot naked women for staff , yup that's about it for me

I do believe there are stores like that but they don't sell fish.(so to speak...)

AquaticFinatic
08-22-2013, 12:57 PM

If only we could lol. :mrgreen:

Alberta-newb
08-22-2013, 02:38 PM
I look for service that's honest and without the "hard sell". I often ask questions I already know the answer to just to hear the response. I'd rather hear "I don't know" or an answer that deters a sale rather than some "BS" answer designed to either make a sale or make the salesman sound intelligent.

General condition of the livestock is also my deciding factor. If I see dead fish or badly diseased ones I don't buy. It takes what 2 seconds to pull out a causality? Don't leave it in there until its rotten and half eaten by the CUC!

Francis

michika
08-22-2013, 02:46 PM

Go on! At least you'd know there was no theft happening from the staff right?!

I'd like to see a certain regularity to some products specifically Calcium reactor media. I'm finding except for a few niche places a lot of the daily maintenance chemicals are kind of hard to find with any regularity. I know 2-part is all the rage right now so product is pretty easy to obtain, but older methods like reactors that aren't so in favour anymore is what I'm refering to here. And it certainly could be a supply AND demand issue, but I'm noticing this often.

I also buy a lot of stuff in bulk and I really like the option to continue to do so. Bringing 5g pails to fill with chems is both cost efficient and a little more environmentally friendly when you're reusing old salt buckets. I usually buy chemicals, pellet food, and some other dry goods this way and it translates into some huge savings for me and continued business for others.

pinkreef
08-22-2013, 03:10 PM
id like to be able to go to my local store and get everything i need
replacement of out of stock items seems slow - a month or more?
i think it would be to their benefit to have all the basics in stock all
the time.
more selection would also be good. as far as fish and corals
it seems to be hit and miss not enough no enough selection.
stores that dont put prices on their livestock lose out on sales as newbies dont know if they are being ripped off as they arent aware of the usual prices
:confused:

JmeJReefer
08-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Level pricing on livestock and hardware etc. too many price differentials between stores.
Selection-livestock and hardware: seems like they stock up on the common goods and name brands. Would like to see some variety.

Reef Pilot
08-22-2013, 03:48 PM
I look for different things from different stores. Some have low prices, and others may have nicer stuff and higher end corals and fish, or have more knowledge. But they all need to have something that stands out and they do well, or I won't be coming back. And good customer service is a given.

It's often what stores don't have, or bad things they do that drive customers away. In retail, it is a well know fact that it is much easier to lose customers than attract new ones.

daniella3d
08-22-2013, 06:40 PM
What I would really like to see is something like the liveaquaria diver's den, where fish are going through a full quarantine and when you buy fish from diver's den you know for sure you wont introduce any parasites, none what so ever.

They should have at least a section isolated from other shipments and tanks and keep those well quarantined with proper treatment to make sure fish are 100% clean of disease and parasites.

I would pay more for these fish. Just the pleasure to be able to acclimate and tus the fish in the main tank right away would be great!

daniella3d
08-22-2013, 06:43 PM
There are plenty of places like that, but hey....I guess you know them all already. The only fish they have in there are the customers....

freddy
08-23-2013, 03:02 AM
It would just be nice to have a local store.