PDA

View Full Version : Radion pro upgrade thoughts

Proteus
08-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Considering upgrading my radion to the pro

Who else has them and thoughts please

Simons
08-21-2013, 06:41 PM
I guess it's needs dependent but I can't see why they are $250 more. You get 10 extra LED's and a slight bump in wattage. I can't see the extra wattage being a significant factor however; since most people are running their Gen2's at less that 70% so they are not even using the maximum intensity.

The way I see it, huge mark up for a few dollars in parts.

Just my opinion. I take it you are running Gen1 radions?

Proteus
08-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Yes I have gen 1

It's $315 for the upgrade

Is anyone else running the pro

reefwars
08-21-2013, 09:38 PM
yes ive ran them since they came out , i have a pair on my 30 x 30 x 20h cube

my thoughts.....

while i loved my g1 and my g2's im not too fussy on the pros

i have to for sale $600 each!!! lol

:P

Proteus
08-21-2013, 09:44 PM
It's tempting Denny.

Is the a noticeable difference from them.

I mean at the price I may go back to mh

xenon
08-21-2013, 10:01 PM
yes ive ran them since they came out , i have a pair on my 30 x 30 x 20h cube

my thoughts.....

while i loved my g1 and my g2's im not too fussy on the pros

i have to for sale $600 each!!! lol

:P

What exactly do you dislike about the pro's?

We are planning to directly compare the Radion Pro with GHL Mitras very soon.

reefwars
08-21-2013, 10:52 PM
What exactly do you dislike about the pro's?

We are planning to directly compare the Radion Pro with GHL Mitras very soon.

theres no comparison , ghl is a far better light.

first off they hybrid the colors , so if you dont like red your out both colors they put on that channel , same with the uv

second is the spread....its not what they say it is , i have 2 on a 30 x 30 x 20h cube , and you can see the coraline mark on the back wall of my tank its at 12" h from the bottom of the tank , so with my radions mounted side by side i get great spread l x w but nothing in height, all my corals on the back of the tank are dealing with much less light then those near the half way mark , the coraline stops where the light doesnt penetrate , so if you look at my tank youd say the top half isnt getting enough light.

next is the disco effect , much worse then previously , im not sure if this has to do with the extra colors and the extra leds or not but....its badly noticable , keep in mind i ran previous radions on this tank and didnt notice it as bad but was always there.

heres one that bugs me , two users in my house hold with radions and when me or my roomate decide to mess with the programs it affects the others , im not talking programming the fixtures them selves but the touch buttons , so say if i want to turn my radions on all whites from the touch sensors it affects all radions within range.....i havent found a answer for this yet but its frustrating as we both run diff , hes natural and im programmed and when one changes it changes the other.

the price is high if you look at what was added compared to the g2's its a steep increase for so little.

i can go on lol its not that its a bad light after all i swllowed the cost for them and have used them since they came out but working at an lfs and playing with other led's im not convinced radionm pros are the best light on the market.

if i had my time back i would have went with either ghl or the ati hybrids.

Proteus
08-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Thanks for that Denny. Maybe ill save for a mitra