PDA

View Full Version : AYR-FOIL as reflector

robert
08-28-2002, 03:41 PM
I found this product called AYR-FOIL in homedepot, that is used for insulation purposes. Basicly, it is bubble plastic used for wrapping coated with aluminium foil. I am thinking about using it in my hood as reflector and also as wood protection.

Any ideas?

Robert

[ 28 August 2002, 11:42: Message edited by: Robert ]

Troy F
08-28-2002, 05:23 PM
Hi Robert. I'm aware of the product you're talking about and I guess it would be alright with VHO as a cost saving measure (the price of a good reflector). I don't know how hot PCs run and I wouldn't chance it with MH. As for protecting your hood from water damage, not a chance, water damage will come from the moist air so you'll still have to a seal your wood really well.

robert
08-28-2002, 06:46 PM
Troy, thank you very much for your answer. I am looking for cheap temporary solution (2 months the most), until I get my new hood built. New hood will host MH adn PC light(s) with proper reflectors and will be sealed with polyurethane enamel.

BTW, with 2 fans runnign in my hood right now, heat doesn't seem to be a problem.

robert

[ 28 August 2002, 14:49: Message edited by: Robert ]

FishGeek
08-28-2002, 08:49 PM
Just paint the hood flat white. White will reflect very well and is a good cheep temp solution!

Simon

Jacoda
08-28-2002, 09:27 PM
You can get Spectre Aluminium reflectors from ILC Electric for a good price.

I bought a 4'X 2' pre-shaped reflector for only $25 Inc tax; they also got assortments of other shapes and sizes available. I've compare it with my Triton enhancer reflector and found no diff in reflectivity (to my eyes...).

This is their phone number: 604-291-0644

[ 28 August 2002, 17:29: Message edited by: Ace ]

StirCrazy
08-28-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by FishOnTheBrain:
Just paint the hood flat white. White will reflect very well and is a good cheep temp solution!

Simon<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">actualy white paint reflecting good is not nessaraly true.. white paint is a awsome difusing type reflector and is only out done by a dimpled aluminum, but as a specular reflector it does very poor. for floresent tubes I don't see the point in using a difusing type reflector when the light is already difused, this can make the tank look dimmer than it would have if you used a specular type reflector. there have been some lengthy discussions on this about a year ago.. ( I think I started them :D : D ) but to make it easyer this is a good article that explains the ddiffferences and why you want different types on different types of lighting.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/nov/features/1/default.asp

Also Robert, if you go back to home depot and look around at the hot water heater blankets you will see they are made of the shiny alumin coated bubble wrap I think you are talking about. well forget about them and find the tape that is used to seal them up..it is a stainless (or someother metal) that is real shiny and stickey as heck.. use that and you will get a heat resistant highly reflective surface.. i used it in my fresh water hood. and it does seal up quite nice if you do the entire inside. you can look at the link and that is my fresh water tank hood, the pics are a little fuzzy as I didn't have my digital cam at that point and my 35 mm was on its way out..

light hood (http://members.shaw.ca/cyltic/Light.htm)

hope this helps.

Steve

[ 28 August 2002, 17:40: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

Tau2301
08-28-2002, 10:11 PM
Get a roll of Reflective Mylar from a hydroponics store. It is supposed to be 98% reflective.

Costs about $25 for a 4' x 100' roll.

billc
08-29-2002, 05:03 AM
as for sealing the wood.. Use a kilz for a primer and then a 2 part epoxy paint for finish and sealer.. nothing will get through the stuff..

Delphinus
08-29-2002, 12:07 PM
Mylar is awesome stuff, but don't use it if you are going to use halides. Mylar melts rather easily .... but otherwise is cheap and effective.

canadawest
08-29-2002, 03:40 PM
Pssst.... Aluminum Foil!!!

It's cheap, it's easy to tape or glue inside your hood, and it pretty darn reflective. It also serves to reflect heat away from your hood (shiny side down of course)

That's what I use above my MH until I get around to getting a proper curved aluminum reflector.

robert
08-31-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by StirCrazy:

Also Robert, if you go back to home depot and look around at the hot water heater blankets you will see they are made of the shiny alumin coated bubble wrap I think you are talking about. well forget about them and find the tape that is used to seal them up..
Steve<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Steve I went with the tape you suggested. I sealed my whole hood with it. It seems to work great.

Everybody, thanks a lot for your advice and suggestions.

Robert