PDA

View Full Version : Trig-in-a-wall ?

EmilyB
06-23-2004, 02:26 AM
:lol:

For those familiar with our small house, we have a new tank for the spot where the 120g used to sit.

However, in moving the furniture, we are realizing this is going to be a pretty tight living area for us and three large dogs... :eek:

It is possibly a load bearing wall, and I know about those posts you put in, but do you think it would be possible for us ? That would put everything for that tank back in the fishroom, and still allow the fish to visit.

Where would we start? :eek:

Canadian Man
06-23-2004, 05:28 AM
First thing to do is locate the main beam in the roof. This is the beam that is supported by the poles in your basement. Then look where the floor joists go to and from with regards to the edge of the walls and the main beam.

If that wall is running with a floor joist than it's not a structural wall.

Blah Blah. So hard to explaine something that I have in my mind. :confused:

Does any of this makes sense?

Bob I
06-23-2004, 02:48 PM
As Jonathan says. The main beam is supported by teleposts. No walls in a basement should be load bearing. :eek:

BMW Rider
06-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Older bungalos had load bearing walls down the center of the basement, but your house is new enough that it would only use teleposts. Generally the teleposts will support a beam, usually laminated 2x10s or such, and the beam supports the floor joists which run perpendicular to the beam. There may be a wall framed in under the beam, but it will have no load bearing capacity.

AJ_77
06-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Plus, that wall runs parallel to the floor joists in the back room. You just need to know what you're demolishing in that wall - wiring, etc.

Bob I
06-24-2004, 01:02 AM
Plus, that wall runs parallel to the floor joists in the back room. You just need to know what you're demolishing in that wall - wiring, etc.

Wiring should be no problem to remove in a basement. :rolleyes:

whaase
06-24-2004, 01:30 AM

Wiring should be no problem to remove in a basement. :rolleyes:

Just make sure the deep freeze is not on the breaker you shut off :eek: and find out 3 days later :eek: :eek: :biggrin: For some unknown reaon, someone decided to wire the lights and deepfreeze on the same circuit.... and the deepfreeze was clear across the basement. Just one of the many surprises I have found when renovating...

Walter

EmilyB
06-24-2004, 02:12 AM
Thanks guys, the wiring won't be a problem as Barry is a master electrician. :biggrin: I just need to entice him to do home type stuff.... :mrgreen: