PDA

View Full Version : A good sealant?

Aikidoka
08-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Hi guys,

Thinking of making a sump for my future reef tank. Which sealant that is fish safe best suit for my need? I'm gonna be looking at homedepot.

Can you recommend me a good one guys? Thanks!

Bblinks
08-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Any silicone that states aquarium safe will do or just hit up your local fish store for some aquarium silicone, probably the safest bet. Member on here used the wrong GE silicone and took out a whole tank of goodies.

apexifd
08-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Any silicone that states aquarium safe will do or just hit up your local fish store for some aquarium silicone, probably the safest bet. Member on here used the wrong GE silicone and took out a whole tank of goodies.

+1

FishyFishy!
08-20-2013, 10:44 PM
I personally only ever buy GE SCS1200 construction silicone. It's the best out there.

If i'm in a time bind, i'll pay the silly price of the Marineland stuff available at the pet stores. But I wouldn't risk any of the other stuff at Home Depot unless it says "aquarium safe" on the label.

reefwars
08-20-2013, 10:52 PM
if your building a sump from scratch including the side panels then make sure you use construction grade silicone , silicone sealant wont do long term.

if its just baffles then sealant is fine:)

Kraken
08-21-2013, 12:49 AM
GE silicone I. Available at most home improvement stores. If you are not sure, just read the label and make sure its 100% silicone and doesnt have any mildew preventative substances in it.

Aikidoka
08-21-2013, 03:59 AM
Ok guys, thanks for the input, appreciated it! I have another question, will you use the old bio balls that's been sitting around for years?

I know it's better to use LR vs BIOBALLS, is it still effective? Will it still do the same job? Lets just set aside LR for now, if only our option is bioballs, will you use it? Or buy a new ones?

monocus
08-21-2013, 05:58 AM
rinse them and use them-they are only there for your beneficial bacteria,or you can use a nitrate reactor

HaZRaTTy
08-21-2013, 08:31 PM
GE silicone I. Available at most home improvement stores. If you are not sure, just read the label and make sure its 100% silicone and doesnt have any mildew preventative substances in it.

I seem to remember all GE silicone now has mildew resistance and is no longer reef safe. If you could, can you clear this up name of the GE silicone?

monocus
08-21-2013, 09:45 PM
silicone 1 has mildew inhibitors in it.i think you need the ge 1200.i use newflex 333 for my builds

AdamsB
08-21-2013, 09:47 PM
I've used ge type 1 windows and doors with no issues.

Kraken
08-22-2013, 06:15 AM
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/silicone.jpg

Here ya go.

This is the one that Ive been using and have never had any issues.

monocus
08-22-2013, 06:49 AM
that's not safe for aquariums-it has a mold inhibitor in it

Kraken
08-22-2013, 07:26 AM
that's not safe for aquariums-it has a mold inhibitor in it

The GE Silicone I - Window ver has no mold inhibitor in it. I have used it for my reef and I have had no issues.
But then again, its up to you. Everyone has their own oppinions and you can get the silicone made for aquarium use =p

FishyFishy!
08-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Just be safe and use what is supposed to be used. It's really that simple. Why take any chances if you plan on having 1000's of dollars worth of stuff in your tank that could potentially die.

GE SCS1200 Construction silicone, or any other brand purchased at local aquarium stores. Don't take chances with your fishies!

Aquattro
08-22-2013, 02:01 PM
The GE Silicone I - Window ver has no mold inhibitor in it. I have used it for my reef and I have had no issues.

I've always used this as well, except last time, everything in the tank died. Someone posted in another thread that after contacting GE, it turns out that they changed the formula for this product. So while you might get lucky and buy older stock off the shelf, for me, I'll just use the GE 1200 from now on.

Kraken
08-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Yeah. I just checked homedepot's website and they seem to have a new one. If you are going to use the GE silicone I, use the old one. You can tell by lookin at the label design.