PDA

View Full Version : Who needs a trigger?

asylumdown
08-20-2013, 12:00 AM
I haven't posted this in the buy/sell/trade forum, mostly cuz I'm not selling, but also because I'm extraordinarily picky. I have a male blue throat trigger that is physically in spectacular condition, but psychologically is not doing so hot in my system. I've never owned a trigger before him so I didn't know what to expect, but I'm pretty sure that to be happy in captivity, blue throats - at least my blue throat - need a MUCH larger tank than I can provide. I think it might be that they're mostly pelagic feeders, and since there's only ever food floating in my water twice a day, he has nothing to do the rest of the time but swim in circles. At first it was a circuit around the tank - the exact same circuit, over and over and over. Then I added a frag rack that's right in his old path, and now he just swim in a circle around the frag rack. All day. Every day. I know stereotypical behaviour when I see it, and this is starting to remind me of that polar bear that went crazy at the zoo that was eventually put down when its Prozac stopped working.

I would like to send him to a better home, but I'm thinking a better home in this case is a much larger tank. Problem is, I don't know how many very large tanks there are in Calgary. Mine is 275 gallons, but it's only 6 feet long, so it might just be a length issue. Does anyone know of any 9-10 foot tanks in Calgary that might have room for an entirely reef safe (at least so far) trigger?

lpsreefer
08-20-2013, 12:33 AM
ill rehouse him for ya.
if not i know a few bigg 9-10 foot tanks that well be more then happy to house him for ya.

The Grizz
08-20-2013, 02:50 AM
Couple 8 footers here.........

asylumdown
08-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Ok awesome thanks guys, I'll PM you both. Step one was finding out if there were good options, step two will be trying to catch this guy without taking my whole tank apart. I've got him trained on hand-feeding so I hope I can scoop him up that way, but he's FAST.