spit.fire
08-19-2013, 09:19 PM
I've heard alot of different opinions on this

Do you like:
fresh cut unmounted
Fresh cut and mounted
Mounted and healed
Other?

Personally I like fresh cut and unmounted as I cut them off the plugs/disks the second I get them home

Aquattro
08-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Personally I like fresh cut and unmounted as I cut them off the plugs/disks the second I get them home

Agreed. I mount my corals directly to the rock and cut them off the plug, so really doesn't matter, but fresh cut always works best.

Reef Pilot
08-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Fresh cut and unmounted for me. Then I can just do my dip, and not concerned with eggs on the base or plug.

tang daddy
08-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Fresh cuts are mostly the way most sell, sometimes people grow and let them encrust before selling them, which is nice. Either one is fine with me...

ScubaSteve
08-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Fresh cut and unmounted all the way! Frag plugs **** me off. If they're mounted to LR rubble, that works... but no plugs.

Proteus
08-19-2013, 09:46 PM
I do like encrusted. I can snap it off mount to rock and stick plug into other tank. I guess it's like insurance if one rtn

mseepman
08-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Fresh cut is great but I try not to be too picky cause im just happy to get them.

kien
08-19-2013, 09:49 PM
It depends where they are coming from. If they are coming from a local tank (store or hobbyist in my city), then fresh cut for me. However, if they are coming from far away and require shipping, definitely NOT FRESH CUT, and always healed (preferably encrusted) on frag plug!

thmh
08-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Wow big surprise seeing how so many people like fresh cut, I myself prefer a healed up frag and it's a cherry on top if it's encrusting. It shows that the frag is healthy and growing and has less of a chance of rtn and stn'ing.

~Tony

Bblinks
08-19-2013, 10:20 PM
I think for most sps guys that's been around would like to get fresh cuts locally, shipping wise will be better to get encrusted pieces. less chance to get infected by pests.

Aquattro
08-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Wow big surprise seeing how so many people like fresh cut, I myself prefer a healed up frag and it's a cherry on top if it's encrusting. It shows that the frag is healthy and growing and has less of a chance of rtn and stn'ing.

~Tony

It's nice to see that, but I do end up cutting them off as soon as I get them.

thmh
08-19-2013, 10:33 PM
It's nice to see that, but I do end up cutting them off as soon as I get them.

And that is find brad but atleast you knew it was healthy, growing and not stress from a fresh wound to begin with.

~Tony

MadJellyCorals
08-19-2013, 11:25 PM
if your lucky to have access to a diamond band saw, you can cut as much plug away from it and have encrusting and the frag YAY! :o

Aquattro
08-19-2013, 11:43 PM
if your lucky to have access to a diamond band saw, you can cut as much plug away from it and have encrusting and the frag YAY! :o

No, I would still rather it encrusts to the mount point on the rock. It's a pet peeve of mine seeing people mounting frag lugs to their rock (Wayne!!)

Proteus
08-19-2013, 11:46 PM
^ exactly.

thmh
08-20-2013, 12:03 AM
We like to cut the stem of the frag plug and do a putty glue sandwich to mount all our frags onto the rock work, by the time they fully encrust you can barely notice the frag was on a plug! :-)

~Tony

reefermadness
08-20-2013, 12:09 AM
No, I would still rather it encrusts to the mount point on the rock. It's a pet peeve of mine seeing people mounting frag lugs to their rock (Wayne!!)

Your not doing it right than Brad :fish:. Any small plug used will soon be covered and encrusted. Basically just cut the tip off and mount the plug with epoxy and glue. I mean if your acro is encrusting smaller than the size of a frag plug you got a problem. Of course it does take some patience. Also IMO fresh cuts are more likely to go poof. Fresh cuts from a local with a trusted acro isnt bad though.

Bblinks
08-20-2013, 12:09 AM

And Rich....

Aquattro
08-20-2013, 12:34 AM
Your not doing it right than Brad :fish:. Any small plug used will soon be covered and encrusted..

No, I can still see the plug under the base. Some people even epoxy the concrete chunks that maricultured colonies ship with :) Usually, once I cut the frag off, I then have a new piece left on the plug that goes into the frag tank. Fresh cut iece then gets epoxied into the structure with a tapered bit of epoxy and ends up looking natural.

Aquattro
08-20-2013, 12:34 AM
And Rich....

oh sheesh...:)

spit.fire
08-20-2013, 12:43 AM
No, I can still see the plug under the base. Some people even epoxy the concrete chunks that maricultured colonies ship with :) Usually, once I cut the frag off, I then have a new piece left on the plug that goes into the frag tank. Fresh cut iece then gets epoxied into the structure with a tapered bit of epoxy and ends up looking natural.

Kz speed glue FTW

I drain my tank to mount frags lol

Aquattro
08-20-2013, 12:45 AM
I drain my tank to mount frags lol

I drain mine enough to catch fish, not draining to mount frags -lol

Epoxy is my fave for mounting, just set and forget.

spit.fire
08-20-2013, 12:57 AM
I drain mine enough to catch fish, not draining to mount frags -lol

Epoxy is my fave for mounting, just set and forget.

Draining my sps tank involves siphoning from dt until sump is full then half a 5 g pail to get it 1" of water left

Rice Reef
08-20-2013, 01:24 AM

Who? Me? I think u were referring to some other Asian guy... We all look the same. :mrgreen:

However, you are right... I cut everything off and then remount the frag on new plugs and let them sit on the rack until I know where to epoxy them.