PDA

View Full Version : Super high Ph

Slyguy00
08-19-2013, 04:42 AM
So my girlfriends kid decided to clean her tank for her and dropped her marineland led light into the tank. The light is done, and it appears so is everything else. I tested Ph and its off the charts. some stuff is still alive, but i dont think its gonna last long. She did a 50% water change and the Ph is still super high. Any suggestions?

kien
08-19-2013, 05:03 AM
So my girlfriends kid decided to clean her tank for her and dropped her marineland led light into the tank. The light is done, and it appears so is everything else. I tested Ph and its off the charts. some stuff is still alive, but i dont think its gonna last long. She did a 50% water change and the Ph is still super high. Any suggestions?

What's the pH reading exactly? Not sure how dropping and LED light into your tank can raise pH. That's a new one to me!

WarDog
08-19-2013, 05:04 AM
I'd be thanking the salt gods it wasn't my tank! Kinda sucks though... I'm sure the ':lilangel:' was just trying to help!

Slyguy00
08-19-2013, 05:10 AM
it raised the PH because whatever was inside the light seeped into the water turning it yellow and murky. Makes sense to me.... And the reading was tested on a ****ty hagen test set. But it appeared to be well over 9. Either way just looking for a way to bring it down a bit.

kien
08-19-2013, 05:13 AM
Wow, that sounds nasty. I suppose those lights aren't exactly water tight. I would just do a massive water change, or consecutive 50% water changes.

AquaPin
08-19-2013, 05:17 AM
I suspect the "water turning it yellow and murky" may be tinting test results. Whatever leaked into the tank may be toxic and that is what is killing the livestock. Keep up with the water changes and if you have any, run poly filter or equivalent. I have some here if you want to borrow some (PM me, still up for awhile).

JV