PDA

View Full Version : Coral snow

Proteus
08-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Wow do I ever love this product

I dosed it before lights on at 1.5ml to my 42g of water. Water was amazingly clear my skimmer was pulling more gunk.

Like to see how acros respond with consistent dosing

thmh
08-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Coral snow side effect is it turns into coral food! :-) we use it religiously!

~Tony

Rice Reef
08-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Wow do I ever love this product

I dosed it before lights on at 1.5ml to my 42g of water. Water was amazingly clear my skimmer was pulling more gunk.

Like to see how acros respond with consistent dosing

Coral snow side effect is it turns into coral food! :-) we use it religiously!

~Tony

+1!

Myka
08-19-2013, 12:40 AM
It's my favourite Zeovit product. :)

typezero
08-19-2013, 12:43 AM
Like franks hot sauce, i put dat stuff on everything!

Proteus
08-19-2013, 01:05 AM
Like franks hot sauce, i put dat stuff on everything!

Haha long

You need need a pick of some old lady holding the bottle.

apexifd
08-19-2013, 01:39 AM
Sounds good.. I am gonaa be using this in the new tank.

neoh
08-19-2013, 02:42 AM
it's used as a supplement to clarify water, however you use it for corals? How do the two work together, and what are the benefits for the corals? Growth? Color?

Proteus
08-19-2013, 02:49 AM
it's used as a supplement to clarify water, however you use it for corals? How do the two work together, and what are the benefits for the corals? Growth? Color?

Mixing it with liquid foods gives the food something to bind to. Since the snow is a clay the food is now able to be caught buy the polyps

Myka
08-19-2013, 03:16 AM
Mixing it with liquid foods gives the food something to bind to. Since the snow is a clay the food is now able to be caught buy the polyps

That's what "they" say. I'm not sure I buy into this selling feature since overuse of Coral Snow can bleach corals. I just like the clarifying aspect of the additive. :D

Proteus
08-19-2013, 03:31 AM
That's what "they" say. I'm not sure I buy into this selling feature since overuse of Coral Snow can bleach corals. I just like the clarifying aspect of the additive. :D

Could overdose be a result of metals silicates and other earths in its makeup

I don't see why it couldn't be a carrier of foods if its able to bind to the debris in water column.

Myka
08-19-2013, 03:43 AM
Could overdose be a result of metals silicates and other earths in its makeup

I don't see why it couldn't be a carrier of foods if its able to bind to the debris in water column.

Honestly, I'm not really sure what to think about it. As with all Zeovit products (an similar products on the market) the ingredients are unknown besides some vague description so it's tough to say exactly what it does. I know it ends up in my skimmer because the next morning there is a white dusty in the cup. If it gets to the skimmer all by itself, or if it brings some organics with it from binding, I have no idea. Does some sort of "clay" or carbonate bind to food and take it to corals? I'm skeptical of that, although not entirely unbelievable.

Here's an interesting article on the chemical analysis of skimmate (not totally relevant, but I like the article so I am linking it haha): http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/2/aafeature