PDA

View Full Version : Nieces and fish

Dearth
08-18-2013, 03:11 PM
I allowed my nieces to pick out 2 fish for my new 95 gallon tank and they chose a 6 line wrasse and a bicolored dottyback I have looked online but recieved conflicting information about housing wrasse and dottybacks in the same tank

Some say its ok others say to avoid at all costs so I am left in a quandary I don't want to disappoint my nieces but at the same time I want to keep a peaceful tank.

So what are your thoughts is it safe to house wrasse and dottybacks together or should I pick one over the other?

Proteus
08-18-2013, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't keep them at all. There both a holes

Jeff000
08-18-2013, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't keep them at all. There both a holes

This!

mrhasan
08-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Wrasses and dottys are the worst enemy ;)

IanWR
08-18-2013, 07:28 PM
On an unrelated note "Nieces and Fish" sounds like a great name for a band.

Madreefer
08-18-2013, 07:48 PM
How to trap 6 line wrasse used to be a topic that showed up every couple of weeks on this site. Cool and active fish but huge wrassehole.
I have a dottyback that pesters any new addition of same size to the death. Smart fish that I have tried many ways to trap. I give up. Will be a good day when he finally dies.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-19-2013, 01:17 AM
Yes, I would stay away from those. Once they are in your tank, you will have to tear it apart to get them out. Highly likely they will become nasty terrors. Beautiful but nasty.

Dearth
08-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Well after I told my nieces that their first choices weren't an option anymore and they can't decide one or the other fish anymore and as per usual kids being kids got into an argument over what to decide on

So I am looking for a wrasse that has bristle worm on their menu need the population controlled plus really don't like the lil buggers either and another fish that will co-exist with the wrasse and likes to swim

Eventually my 95 gallon will be bit full of fish but most will be hiding in the rocks

current fish that will be going in the tank
2 black percula clowns
4 green chromis
1 yellowtail damsel
1 neon goby
2 peppermint shrimp
2 Sea Cucumbers

Wish list
1 lawnmower Blenny
1 wrasse (preferable with bristle worm on the menu)
1 swimmer with colour

I am open to fish suggestions

Madreefer
08-21-2013, 07:41 AM
First i'd throw that damsel in the toilet. Haha j/k but he'll eventually kill your chromis or possibly clowns. Take it to the LFS.
My next fish s going to be a long nosed hawk fish. You say your CUC has personality, well this fish will give you hours of enjoyment. Really cool and I believe they do a number on bristle worms. Look it up.

Wheelman76
08-21-2013, 07:54 AM
I've never seen my Longnose Hawkfish eat bristle worms , but your right about having lots of personality. They really are fun to watch. Mine loves to sit on my nori clip and ride up and down with the waves , so my kids and I named him Bullrider lol.

Taipan
08-21-2013, 08:56 AM
A Red Lined Wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus) is exactly what you're looking for. It's fairly unique and much more attractive (in my opinion) than a 6 line wrasse.

I've had a 6 line wrasse for for years without incident and it literally "turned evil" one day - like a light switch. Don't get me wrong; it was great at keeping pests in check and it was fun to watch it burrow in the sand (like clockwork) everyday to sleep. However; it turned from peaceful to aggressive overnight.

Red Lined Wrasses are very peaceful and to date; I've never had any issues with tank mates. It's a great hunter of pests.

P.S. - Try and find a smaller juvenile. A larger specimen may take a swipe at your peppermint shrimp. Any larger wrasse might. If the juvenile "grows up" with your peppermint shrimp; they should be safe.

daplatapus
08-21-2013, 01:33 PM
My next fish s going to be a long nosed hawk fish.

I thought I read these will eat your shrimp...

michika
08-21-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm just going to put it out there that I've had a few sixlines over the course of my reefkeeping career and I've never encountered a d-bag variety personally. I have however seen them in other's tanks. I personally keep sixlines on my to have fish list because they've always been such good little workers for me. Granted as previously advised, YMMV, but I thought you probably might want to know that it is possible.

Madreefer
08-21-2013, 05:02 PM
I thought I read these will eat your shrimp...

I have'nt any shrimp. When I dosed fluke tabs to kill clove polyps they also died.