PDA

View Full Version : Water Additives

chromakey
08-18-2013, 01:26 AM
Good Day:

I have a mixed reef aquarium with mainly LPS and soft corals. I aim for a 20% water change every 10 -14 days. I have never added any additives but was wondering if anyone would recommend an additive that would help the corals and invertebrates in the tank. I am trying to keep the upkeep fairly simple.

I have been looking at something like:

Brightwell Aquatics KoralColor Aquarium Additive;
Brightwell Aquatics Koralle-VM Trace Element Supplement - 500ml;
SeaChem Reef Plus Additive - 500 mL;
SeaChem Reef Trace Additive - 500 mL;
Kent Marine Essential Elements Additive - 16 oz;

Thanks,

Aquattro
08-18-2013, 02:17 AM
What are you trying to make happen, or fix?

kien
08-18-2013, 04:02 AM
I would suggest marine salt as a water additive. Your corals and fish will appreciate it.

chromakey
08-18-2013, 04:33 AM
Hi:

I was looking on Liveaquaria.com and noticed that for a lot of inverts it mentions supplement with iodine and trace elements. I am not sure if these are typically in most salts. If there was one product that I could add easily I was going to try that.

Thanks.

Aquattro
08-18-2013, 04:35 AM
I would suggest marine salt as a water additive. Your corals and fish will appreciate it.

Agreed. Regular water changes and you're good.

hillegom
08-18-2013, 04:43 AM
+1^^
Your typical salt has all the trace elements that your reef needs.

Read this
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/

Do you add oil additives to your engine oil?
Its not recommended by the car manufacturers

monocus
08-18-2013, 06:12 AM
you shouldn't have to top up any iodine.test for potassium,you might want to add that to bring out the green in coral,and magnesium

tang daddy
08-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Zeovit Lps amino is great for Lps corals, gets a good feeding response before you feed the tank. I've been using it with great results... Try it if you're able to and you'll see your Lps explode with happiness.

reefermadness
08-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Aminos acids would be the one thing i could maybe recommend besides alk, ca, mg and wager changes. But really i prefer to recommend PE mysis (along side other good foods) instead od amino acids. AA's are basically just broken down protein and PE mysis is quite a bit higher in protein than any other. They are also filled with healthy fats....if the package didnt say "not for human consumption" I'd be tempted to try them myself.

Myka
08-18-2013, 01:47 PM
I have a mixed reef aquarium with mainly LPS and soft corals. I aim for a 20% water change every 10 -14 days. I have never added any additives but was wondering if anyone would recommend an additive that would help the corals and invertebrates in the tank. I am trying to keep the upkeep fairly simple.

Have you tested calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium? How about nitrate an phosphate? Do you keep your tank at a proper reef specific gravity of 1.026 or 35 ppt? If these are all within proper range, and you have fish in there that you feed, then your corals are likely quite happy between the fish poop, excess fish food (hopefully not much), and the elements in the salt mix.

If you insist on trying something, then I suggest you try target feeding some of the LPS with an LPS pellet like Fauna Marin LPS Pellets (my fav). Keep in mind that feeding the corals is the same as feeding the fish as far as nutrient load goes, so watch for algae.

I don't recommend feeding into the water column unless you have a really good protein skimmer, a really good clean up crew, and a good amount of experience in the hobby to see the signs of impending algae bloom before it happens. :D

EDIT: I just realized these 3 threads are all from you. :lol: Skip the questions in the first paragraph, I saw the answers in your other thread and made comments in your other threads regarding those values.