PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser Reactor problem

Richer
06-22-2004, 07:52 PM
I bought a reactor off of Dez recently... and it works like a charm. Currently, the reactor feeds off of a pump that I have sitting in a bucket that is connected to a float switch. So everytime water levels go down a little bit, the pump in the bucket turns on and thus feeds the reactor.

This brings me to my problem. While the pump is running, the reactor is filled to the top with water. However, once the pump turns off, water in the reactor flows right back into the bucket until it reaches equilibrium. While this isn't a huge problem now... I suspect it will be in the future. First of all, since water does drain back into the bucket, it leaves about half of the reactor filled with air... which from my understanding would cut back on the life of a kalkwasser mix. Second of all... I will be heading out on vacation for a month... if water levels in the bucket/container drop low enough, the equilibrium level in the reactor may get low enough to expose the mixing pump to air... not pleasant. Raising the bucket up high is not an option neither. My tank is located rather close to the ground (on a coffee table I refinished). So if I raise the bucket up high enough to compensate for backflow... I would end up emptying most (if not all) of the contents of the bucket into my tank.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this backflow? I tried rigging up an airline check valve... but that only held up for a day or so. The tubing has an ID of about 6mm.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments.

-Richer

bear27
07-01-2004, 06:26 PM
I would install a check valve,like the ones used for co2 lines or air pumps,And if the line is bigger a plumbing store will have them for the size of pipes your useing