PDA

View Full Version : Salt for Mixed Reef Nano Aquarium

chromakey
08-18-2013, 01:14 AM
Good Day:

I have been using Zeovit Reefer's Best Salt for the last year on my two nano aquariums with good results. It looks like J&L might not be carrying this salt anymore. What would you recommend for another high quality salt?

I was thinking of using D-D H2Ocean Pro Plus Salt Mix.

Thanks,

Michael

Aquattro
08-18-2013, 02:19 AM
You can still buy it locally, for not much more. However, using IO is probably fine. Add a bit of Ca if needed to bring it up to RBS levels.

mrhasan
08-18-2013, 03:45 AM
If you want "salt", go for IO and adjust the parameters with dosing like Brad said; it will still be cheaper. If you want "nice salt" (I am not saying "good" salt since that can bring lot of debate :lol:), H2ocean is possibly the best bang for buck. Which salt you choose is completely personal. People can have great success with literally any salt in this hobby; it all comes down to personal preference. Some people like salts which they dont have to measure and dose everytime they do water change while some like to go easy on the moneythey spend on salt with additives (mostly for bigger systems).

Myka
08-18-2013, 01:54 PM
I use H2Ocean in my reef tanks and really like it. I do add magnesium to it when I mix it up - 1 cup magnesium chloride for every 10 gallons.

I don't care for IO in my reef tanks, but I do it for my fish only tanks.

EDIT: You would be able to solve your high calcium value (as seen in your other thread) by switching to H2Ocean, and your alkalinity would sit a bit higher at around 8 dKH.

tang daddy
08-18-2013, 04:49 PM
I love IO, have used d&d, aquavitro, and a few others but went back to the cheap stuff. Not because I can't afford the other stuff...

Me and another forum guy on here have tested buckets of IO from the top middle and bottom. The params for ca alk and mg are pretty stable throughly out the bucket and the 2 buckets I have tested have been good on the readings... Ca 360-375, alk 9-10, mg 1200-1250

So with that said I just add alittle ca to the mix and I am good to go!

IO is a large salt company and very consistent. I heard and not sure how true this is but other companies buy salt from 3 major dealers and rename and add their own additives...

IO is the clear winner for me!