PDA

View Full Version : ID please.....

Jim Barry
06-22-2004, 06:15 PM
I have this stuff in my tank and it is starting to really spread. I am not sure what it is but I think it is a type of caulerpa.

Can you tell me what it is and how to control it.

Thx

Jim

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=799

DOO-E
06-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Wowo thats some cool stuff i am coming into calgary at the end of the summer will you save me some. As for controling it margarita snails will do it. they have ate evry kind of algea we have put into my schools take. those little buggers some of the algea was nice stuff too. Try them they should do it.

EmilyB
06-22-2004, 07:12 PM
Since I am so close by, I would love to pop over and GRAB SOME for ID purposes.... :biggrin:

christyf5
06-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Neato! :cool: I can't quite tell from the pic but I think I have some of those in my tank, mine are more brownish. Can you get a sharper pic of them?? Somewhere I read that they were a type of gorgonian. For some reason flower gorgonian comes to mind. I'll have a look in my book when I get home and hopefully I'll find the pic.

Christy :)

Jim Barry
06-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Everyone wants some...... but no one is telling me what it is :rolleyes:

:confused:

Quinn
06-22-2004, 07:24 PM
My understanding is that Caulerpa spp. are strictly green. Interesting stuff though, what does it feel like? Maybe you could get a better shot or a scan and ask Fenner?

Edit - Like Christy said, I almost wonder if it's a coral. Texture might give a better idea.

Jack
06-22-2004, 07:38 PM
It's a type of encrusting gorgonian. It spreads and I don't know what controls it. I hate the stuff personally.

AJ_77
06-22-2004, 07:42 PM
A better photo would help, Jim. Your camera seems to have focused just behind the stuff... But yeah, doesn't look much like algae does it?

Oh, and can I have some too??? :biggrin: ... j/k!

Jim Barry
06-22-2004, 07:43 PM
I tried to take a better photo, but didn't have any luck. The stuff is very soft and has individual stalks with individual polyp type heads. It is hairlike and moves with the current very easily. It also is starting to spread like crazy.

Hope that helps.....

Deb... If you want some... let me know

Jim Barry
06-22-2004, 07:54 PM
thanks Jack...

Alan, if you want some, let me know

Jim

AJ_77
06-22-2004, 08:51 PM
It's starting to sound like a plague of sorts, Jim. Can you isolate the rocks that have it? May have to take action... :confused:

How fast did you say it was spreading?

Jim Barry
06-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Can't seem to stop it Alan..... I may have to call "reefbusters" :rolleyes:

The trouble is it seems to break off and reattach itself elswhere in the tank.

Anybody want some, they can have it. It looks nice but needs alot of harvesting.

Jim

Van down by the river
06-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Hello Jim,
It's definitely not an algae, nor is it a gorgonian.
The picture is blurry, but it appears to be a small colonial polyp.
Probably in the Xenia or Clavularia family (maybe also a type of Hydroid). I've had it before. It doesn't appear to be very aggressive toward other corals but it does grow quickly.
It would be good for covering rock between larger corals. It would also be good for nano tanks or in a aquarium with decorator crabs.

oh yeah I'm back......

EmilyB
06-22-2004, 10:12 PM
or in a aquarium with decorator crabs.

My Martha Stewart will be so happy :mrgreen:

Dale D
06-22-2004, 11:45 PM
It's hard to tell from the picture,but,it looks like a type of hydroid.

I just nuked a bunch of it about 5 minutes ago. It was growing on the base of an SPS colony and was killing it off. :evil: But, not anymore. :biggrin:

dyereefer
06-23-2004, 12:08 AM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/893DSC00510-med.JPG?1413

dyereefer
06-23-2004, 12:09 AM
Yeah I got this stuff to and it grows quite rapidly to.

Jim Barry
06-23-2004, 03:14 PM
dyereefer......

that is the same stuff I have....

Jim

Jim Barry
09-17-2004, 06:09 PM
I posted back in June, trying to identify the growth I am having over my live rock.

Since then, it has continued to spread over my entire tank and has attached itself to the sandbed and even the powerheads and overflow.

I now think it is a hydroid. a link is listed below.

http://www.gotosnapshot.com/Tub_Hydroid/Tub_Hydroid_cat.html

I posted a pic in the gallery (not sure how to post it on this thread) and you can see how it has attached itself everywhere. The problem is, it spreads by the stems breaking loose and floating around and reattaching. If I try to pull it off it makes things even worse as all the stems break loose. It is now on almost every rock in the tank

Is there any type of invert or fish that eats this stuff?

I really don't want to take my tank apart and have to scrub each rock. Being that it is in my sandbed as well, I would have to replace the sand.

any ideas?

:cry:

Jim

Jim

muck
09-17-2004, 06:24 PM
I posted a pic in the gallery (not sure how to post it on this thread)
Here you go Jim. Hope you find a solution. :confused:

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/816tank.jpg

EmilyB
09-17-2004, 09:17 PM
I would definitely like to get a big chunk of it from you Jim. As much as you can part with. :cool:

I will trade you for something more reef friendly.

AJ_77
09-17-2004, 09:26 PM
Isn't that similar to the stuff Steve had, and that Turbos took care of for him?

Jim Barry
09-17-2004, 09:43 PM
I have a bunch of turbo's and they won't touch it. My Tangs won't eat it, my Copperband won't eat it, my Algea Blenny won't eat it.............there has to be something that will eat this stuff....... :cry: :cry: :cry: